Question HP Envy x360 'black screen' when playing

Dec 26, 2020
Hello, I recently purchased a refubrished Envy x360.
Model info: https://support.hp.com/it-it/document/c06692928
HP warranty still active (9 months), plus vendor warranty (12 months).
HP Sup. Ass. shows no updates are needed. Win 10 is updated. All drivers are updated.

Everything works fine except when I play some games.
So far I tried: Half Life 2 Ep. 1, SW Republic Commando and Planescape: Torment EE.
All the games are legally downloaded from Steam.
When playing HL, after a while, with no reason, the screen turns black and the notebook freezes. With Republic Commando it has happened just once, with Planescape I had no issues so far.
I tried playing with lower settings and in windowed mode but it still happens
Light power stays on. There's no way to get back to the desktop. I can only press the power button and force a restart.
No messages, no codes, nothing at all.

I ran: HP PC Hardware Diagnostic Windows and Windows Troubleshooter; no issues reported.
Graphic settings from AMD Radeon Software is set to Standard.

Any help?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By updated, are you on version 20H2 for Windows 10? Might want to cross reference HP's support site to see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending when compared to the BIOS version you're on at the moment. FYI, that laptop was geared towards graphic artists not for gaming due to the limited profile of the laptop and the cooling on it.

Dec 26, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By updated, are you on version 20H2 for Windows 10? Might want to cross reference HP's support site to see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending when compared to the BIOS version you're on at the moment. FYI, that laptop was geared towards graphic artists not for gaming due to the limited profile of the laptop and the cooling on it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I confirm Win10 is up to date with version 20H2.

I had a thought about BIOS as well as Graphic card. I'll check for BIOS updates and let you know.

You are right and I dind't buy it with that purpose. But I find quite weird this machine is not able to hold a game such as HL2.