HP Finally Re-Enters Smartphone Business in a Big Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
by far the nicest designed phone I've ever seen, super thin, near borderless design, textured back, looks like its light, yes! Ive been wanting a phone exactly like this since the inception of smart phones

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Im disappointed, I heard months ago that they were heading back into the smartphone market and they said they were coming with something innovative. What I was expecting was a Windows 8 phone with a physical keyboard which no one has yet, not a me too Samsung Galaxy Note.

g-unit1111

Titan

I wish they had brought back Web OS, they had a truly great thing going with that and flushed it down the toilet.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Beautiful design... but oh no, not Yet Another Android crapware phone.Come on HP... keep WebOS alive!!Come on Samsung... keep Bada alive!!

glasfactor

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
HP continues to be consequent in being in-consequent. "We do phones now, now we don't do anymore". "Now we are back with a "new" phone" - that the market most probably really doesn't need. Refer to the move with buying WebOS and closing it down, I don't remember did they "opened" it at least, but who cares - the thing is outdated and in coma for decades. Would assume that would have been a wise move to at least stay compatible and dual boot even - hey why not??? But at least I hope HP understood why they turned from a very attractive high end company to mid-level to low cost player - if their laptops were designed in this (Slate6 VoiceTab) way they would be elsewhere. VoiceTab??? Who came with that name should be sent home. Tasteless. Long. Not standing out. "Hey could pass me my VoiceTab? (...or my Slate6)" Finally: How comes very few understand: it's all about the looks. All about the design. And then comes marketing. Looking onto this particular ""newcomer" at a crowded party" - I believe it will be almost impossible for "him" to find a company if he is not cheap as hell - and he will not be. =) So Thumbs down from me. (period)

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that bugs the crap out of me. I have a Web OS tablet which I bought in HP's fire sale way back when. Web OS has the best multitasking of any operating system out there - that includes iOS, Android, and WP8. If it had been in the right hands, it could have been something truly great. Instead HP turned it into another RIM. :ange:

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I wish they had brought back Web OS, they had a truly great thing going with that and flushed it down the toilet.
Beautiful design... but oh no, not Yet Another Android crapware phone.Come on HP... keep WebOS alive!!Come on Samsung... keep Bada alive!!
If any of you actually used WebOS on a phone or actually used the HP Pre phone you would no be saying that. WebOS was no where near Android, WP8, or IOS. There is a reason why many people who bought the discontinued tablet for $99 almost immediately put CyanogenMod Android on it. Was their some elements on the OS that was good..sure. The flick up to close the app was good but there was much more that was a way's off from being anything that remotely competes with the big 3. I was an HP employee at the time and we where forced to use the Pre as they would not support competing products. (understandable). Many people just bought their own phone and footed the bill every month instead of using the Pre and allowing HP to pay the phone bill. That all changed when they decided to exit.Also, WebOS is still alive and well. It is just open source now. HP also acquired the OS as apart of the Palm acquisition in case you did not know.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'm sorry but you can't call a 7" device anything but a tablet... 6" is really pushing the boundaries already.If it doesn't fit in a pocket, its not a phone or any hybrid of a phone... If you can stuff a 7" tablet in your pocket, then you must be wearing XXXL pants or something.

Hannabal

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
The design is great, the dual sim card with some kind of standby mode would be fantastic. Save on alot of battery for sure. However.... The specs that the "interview" turned up are quite a letdown. 16gb internal with no support for a 64gb SD? 1280x800 on a 7" screen? Comes with Jellybean?? This would be an awesome phone 1 year ago. The Galaxy note blows this out of the water, and its been out for ages...Sorry HP, a day late, and a buck short.

Status
Not open for further replies.