[SOLVED] Hp Folio won't boot without disconnecting and reconnecting HDD

MrrTahoo

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Hello Everyone,

So I cam accros this issue just a few days back. While using the laptop the entire system would just suddenly freeze and it would shutdown the laptop on its own. When I try booting up it again it would either give me a Disk Read Error OR Boot device Not found error OR Just a black screen OR simply go directly into HP Diagnostics.

So the fix I found was that when I went ahead and removed the HDD and reconnected it. It worked like a charm and I booted into windows no problem what so ever.

What I have tried so far tio completely fix the issue:
  1. Re-seating the HDD (several times)
  2. Did a fresh windows reinstall to eliminate any OS based errors that might be causing this but its clearly a hardware issue so it didnt work
  3. Checked inside the Windows Event Viewer and found this:"Source: Kernal Power", The system has rebooted without first cleanly shutting down.
  4. I have checked the HDD for errors, found none. Checked it for physical damage, found none. No noise or anything.

Here are the specs:
  1. Hp Folio (Elitebook)
  2. Intel Core i5 3rd Generation
  3. Ram: 8Gb
  4. Hdd: 500Gb (HGST HTS545050A7E680)

I really need help asap due to my exams that will be soon. Please do help me out here and advise as necessary.
Thank you :)

Solution
.........................I went ahead and removed the HDD and reconnected it. It worked like a charm........................

I don't want to alarm you but the last laptop I saw with those symptoms had a faulty hard drive that eventually failed completely so make sure you backup regularly .

You made no mention of the drive's SMART status so try this and let me know whether it reports "OK", "Bad", or "Warning" etc. Open a Command Prompt window then use the command:

wmic diskdrive get status

By the way, that Event Viewer entry tells us that the laptop was shutdown abruptly (without using the Shutdown command).

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
.........................I went ahead and removed the HDD and reconnected it. It worked like a charm........................

I don't want to alarm you but the last laptop I saw with those symptoms had a faulty hard drive that eventually failed completely so make sure you backup regularly .

You made no mention of the drive's SMART status so try this and let me know whether it reports "OK", "Bad", or "Warning" etc. Open a Command Prompt window then use the command:

wmic diskdrive get status

By the way, that Event Viewer entry tells us that the laptop was shutdown abruptly (without using the Shutdown command).

Reactions: MrrTahoo
Solution

MrrTahoo

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
So the hard drive was actually failing although the SMART status was ok.
I went to a local shop and got it replaced with an SSD since time was of the essence but, Thank you very much for the reply :)

Really appreciate it.