HP G50-118NR BIOS malfunction

64t0

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I wasn't sure whether I should place this in the Motherboards section or the Laptops & Notebooks section, so I went for the more specific option.

I have an HP G50-118NR laptop which never gets past BIOS POST. I can perform the HDD and RAM tests, and I have successfully tested the RAM and hard disk drives, but when I check the available boot devices and drives, it also shows the flash drive attached to it the last time I used the system before it landed in this situation, even though the flash drive is no longer attached to the system.

Is there any way for me to reset the BIOS outside of Windows? I am still afraid of risking buying a replacement board or BIOS chip on eBay since I am not sure if they will work once they arrive. Aside from that, HP only provides windows versions of BIOS updates to the motherboard for this particular laptop.

There are tutorials online for extracting the BIOS files, renaming them, and using various methods to boot them outside of DOS, but it is a little complicated, and I have decided to leave those as a last resort, i.e. just before I risk buying a hopefully working replacement board or BIOS chip.