HP Has a Colorful New Haswell Chromebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Thanks to Azz156 for the research
http://www.geek.com/news/chromebook-sales-are-terrible-even-compared-to-windows-rt-1552333/

Seems there are 5 times as many RTs as there are Chromebooks, despite Chromebooks being on sale for years. Seeing as RT is generally regarded as a pathetic failure, what should we say about Chromebooks?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Chromebooks may have been on the market longer, but they still didn't become widely available or even nationally advertised until early this year when the Samsung series 3 came out. Additionally, no major OEMs are currently producing Windows RT products calling them "unnecessary," yet 6 major companies are now (or soon will be) offering Chromebooks. Chrome OS was never designed to "kill Microsoft." In fact, I like MS and run Windows 8 Pro on 2 of my 3 PCs. The only purpose of Chrome OS is to encourage development of web based applications for use within the Chrome browser in any form. Hardly a failure as Google didn't take a 900 million dollar loss on the program.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Chromebooks may have been on the market longer, but they still didn't become widely available or even nationally advertised until early this year when the Samsung series 3 came out. Additionally, no major OEMs are currently producing Windows RT products calling them "unnecessary," yet 6 major companies are now (or soon will be) offering Chromebooks. Chrome OS was never designed to "kill Microsoft." In fact, I like MS and run Windows 8 Pro on 2 of my 3 PCs. The only purpose of Chrome OS is to encourage development of web based applications for use within the Chrome browser in any form. Hardly a failure as Google didn't take a 900 million dollar loss on the program.

Fredrik Aldhagen

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I can't speak for replacing the SSD (the Samsung series 3 chromebook has SSD soldered directly to the motherboard) but people have already installed Ubuntu on chromebooks.

Now, the catch is whenever you run a custom OS on a chromebook you'll face a warning screen on boot-up. If you press SPACE during this warning screen the chromebook will be reset to its default configuration and your custom OS install will be wiped. For that reason it's probably preferable to just run Linux off a SD card instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS