News HP ink cartridge DRM bypass demonstrated using physical man-in-the-middle-attack

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Love to see this, but it is the reason I do laser these days(Have an old samsung color laser, too bad HP bought Samsung out too).
I use to have an HP that I added a modded ink well that could print on DVDs, problem was the print heads would clog either due to second party ink, or just from volume of prints.

I love to see DRM defeated, But I do wish we had greater consumer protection from these practices, the most egregious being serialized parts that will only work with whitelisted /or coded parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heat_Fan89

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Last year I purchased an HP LaserJet which is the size of a small toaster. I love that printer and it connects SO easily to my Mac and Windows PC's. However I made sure to buy the Non-Subscription version even though the cartridge has DRM enabled. It's a shame HP has gone rouge with their DRM. It's bad for the consumer !

Geef

Distinguished
It is too bad HP can't sell certain printers with a requirement that you use X number of HP cartridges before you can start using third party cartridges. Make it known the sale is at a loss for them so you go into it knowing why you need to use them.

HP could even make a tiny bit of extra money by having a 'squeeze out a few more drops' option so once your current cartridge stops on you, you can pay like 5 bucks to get another 20 pages for an emergency print! Evil but people would probably pay it. :devilish:

micheal_15

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
People need to stop buying HP printers. even the Uk government is putting them to an end after realizing the internal hard drive of all contracted printer models "hides" previously printed pages in a hidden partition. When the drive is changed over as per-contract, the enginer takes the OLD drive with them.....i.e. HP has access to everything the Civil Service has ever printed on that machine.

Not beyond belief that 'consumer' printers without hard drives instead push your printed info to the HP datacentres for storage and AI analysis.

All the driver has to do is send when your internet connection is idle, and not have errors if the connection is down...to not alert the end-user it's doing anything bad. just sit + wait for an active connection

Weren't tank printers supposed to solve the issues of cartridge inkjets of both Ahole DRM as well as cost per page?

I say this as an owner of a 10 year old Brother CMYK inkjet that happily accepts generic carts and won't give me an excuse to upgrade...

Last edited:

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
It seams that manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to sell consumer after purchase stuff (like ink, product repairs, replacement parts, etc...) required to make their products continue work. It causes a 'conflict of interest' that typically isn't good for consumers and the environment.

Reactions: cyrusfox

M0rtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Weren't tank printers supposed to solve the issues of cartridge inkjets of both Ahole DRM as well as cost per page?

I say this as an owner of a 10 year old Brother CMYK inkjet that happily accepts generic carts and won't give me an excuse to upgrade...

Apparently these do print a respectively large volume and are bang for the buck but HP and/or Epson have a way to screw you over with these too.
The ink tank printers have a purge area - a plastic plate with a sponge and these get "saturated" - either truly or in a similar fashion as cartridges that register as empty after X prints.
You need to call over a support tech to replace it.

Apparently these do print a respectively large volume and are bang for the buck but HP and/or Epson have a way to screw you over with these too.
The ink tank printers have a purge area - a plastic plate with a sponge and these get "saturated" - either truly or in a similar fashion as cartridges that register as empty after X prints.
You need to call over a support tech to replace it.
You should be able to do it yourself, like emptying and reusing or replacing the waste toner box on laser printers and waste ink pads on cartridge inkjets. The former is easy with a trash can, the latter with hot water and a sink.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
It seams that manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to sell consumer after purchase stuff (like ink, product repairs, replacement parts, etc...) required to make their products continue work. It causes a 'conflict of interest' that typically isn't good for consumers and the environment.
But then they might want you to just throw away the products and get new ones, so they should be required to warranty their products too.