HP Introduces New x2 Detachable PC Powered by Tegra 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Are they planning a refresh for when Haswell comes out? It's hard to get excited for an Ivy Bridge tablet when the new generation is coming out.

mstavrev

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I wonder, why non of the major computer makers hasn't yet come up with a combined Windows/Android device. The idea I have is an ultrabook chassis build on Intel ivy bridge or haswell and a detachable display that is actually a fully functional Android tablet on its own. When the tablet is attached at the device you may have the option to use it as a display for the x86 machine build into the base, or use the keyboard and other I/O for the Android tablet.
The devices can share the combined battery power when attached to each other.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
It looks like they come with the keyboards in the box according to HP's page. The Android version has a 1080p IPS screen. Tegra 4 should bring some solid graphics improvements over Tegra 3.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I guess if you're using Win7 this would make sense, but Win8 is perfectly at home in either form factor so Android would be kind of redundant and limited in its function compared to a full Win8 intel machine. I have the HP Envy x2 that these will be accompanying in the x2 line, and even on an Atom Z2760 it is a pretty snappy device since Win8 runs so light.

Can't speak for everyone, but for me Android feels odd on a large [10 inch or larger] tablet. It's my OS of choice for phone and it works great on smaller tablets, but Win8 is much better in my experience for larger tablets [NOT WinRT, I still don't have a clue why that exists].

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

That's because android is not ported to intel processors there might be an emulator but its mostly modified and designed to be used on ARM processors like the ones samsong and qualcom make.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Actually, Android is available on x86. Intel has invested a fair bit in getting people to make use of it, especially in phones and low-end tablets. See http://software.intel.com/en-us/android for more info. When Intel talks about $200 notebooks, they mean running Android.
Since most Android coding isn't done in a processor specific way, porting apps can be a pretty straightforward task. Stuff like Blue Stacks already does pretty well at running existing Android apps on higher powered x86 systems. But as for doing a system that runs both Android and Windows, well, they already exist. Sort of. Those machines with an instant-on mode for letting you check messages and other basic tasks in a minimal way usually use something based on a minimized Linux kernel to do the job.
Providing a full on Android system, though, is increasingly pointless. Intel and Microsoft are moving to give portables that same capability with Windows alone. Throw in the previously mentioned Blue Stacks for accessing the Android library and becomes increasingly hard to make a case for a full on Android/Windows box. Far too many consumers would just say 'Why?' instead of 'I want!'

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
It seems rather late in the game to introduce a new high-end product using Ivy Bridge but I suppose Intel may have made them a good deal to clear inventory and launch sooner than later. By the time the holiday shopping season commences I'd hope a Haswell version was shipping. That is, if the advantages of the new architecture are as great as Intel claims.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
The Split x2 actually looks like a device I would want. A keyboard dock and an i5 or i7 for under $800. Usually these hybrid devices are $1,000 if you want a non-Atom version. The only thing I ask is that it have 4gigs of RAM or more. Enough with these devices that only offer 2gigs.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
For $500 you get a Nexus10 with less gpu (mali604 far slower than T4), 2 less cpu cores, 32GB memory (this has 64GB), no Keyboard.
This is a great deal. Seriously considering this if Nexus10 Rev2 has no Tegra.

The wintel one won't sell until they start pricing them at $600. x86 with worse gpu than T4 has no chance at 13.3in to play games I'd guess. This isn't haswell unless I am missing something here (meaning WEAK GPU, if you can even call haswell downclocked great). This has no chance without haswell for less money. This is like putting the T3 1.3ghz (not T3+ 1.7ghz with better battery) into surface RT. That failed because they chose the wrong chip which was in most reviews, just too slow. Another 400mhz would have changed that (and the gpu is another 100mhz or so too on T3+). No haswell=no sales. They just shot this in the foot like the first surfaceRT. I would rather buy an HP 17in full laptop with NV650M etc. Loaded they are $800-850 on sale.

I'd like to see the 13.3 with 1080p res and T4. Nexus 10, while gorgeous is too high at 2560x1600 and causes some game problems - such as Avadon Black Fortress which plays in a little box at 1024x768 and T604 is just too slow to push the next wave of games at that res. They should have made nexus10 1080p. The 13.3 tegra4 (if existed) wouldn't be considered then, it would be a purchase planned...LOL. I would pay $550 or so for the extra screen size. My dad paid $500 for the nexus10 again, with 1/2 memory, no keyboard and 2less cpu cores, weak gpu. This is a great price!

If it doesn't come with the keyboard and that's some $100 addon ok, it's a tougher sale to me then but I'd ponder it. :) My comments above assume we get what we're seeing here in the pic. Then gain, you get a 2nd big battery in that keyboard to feed the lcd. Hmmm...OK. I don't know, I'll wait for more announcements obviously as T4 is just kicking off. I really didn't expect announcements until mid june, closer to ship date of the soc. Maybe they are shipping them early.

edited to space the P's...Dang comment section.

Status
Not open for further replies.