HP JetDirect EX Plus attached to HP Deskjet 3820 feeds bla..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

The subject line states the issue. I have an HP JetDirect EX Plus
print server hooked up to my home network. There's an HP Deskjet 3820
attached to the parallel port on the EX Plus. Every once in a while,
for no apparent reason, the printer will come to life and feed a single
blank sheet through. This happens a couple of times a day. Anyone
have any idea what might be causing this? I'm posting to
comp.sys.mac.printing because there are 3 Macs hooked up to this
network (two running OS X, one running OS X Server).

Thanks!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

In article <180220050700405669%lotofun61@yahoo.com>,
Lot-o-fun <lotofun61@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The subject line states the issue. I have an HP JetDirect EX Plus
> print server hooked up to my home network. There's an HP Deskjet 3820
> attached to the parallel port on the EX Plus. Every once in a while,
> for no apparent reason, the printer will come to life and feed a single
> blank sheet through. This happens a couple of times a day. Anyone
> have any idea what might be causing this? I'm posting to
> comp.sys.mac.printing because there are 3 Macs hooked up to this
> network (two running OS X, one running OS X Server).

Are you connected to the internet? Do you have a firewall?
If yes and no, then maybe someone on the outside discovered
your network and is sending printer commands from time to
time trying to hack you systems.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

In article <john-6F4F7A.17181018022005@news.mpls.visi.com>, John A.
Weeks III <john@johnweeks.com> wrote:

> In article <180220050700405669%lotofun61@yahoo.com>,
> Lot-o-fun <lotofun61@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The subject line states the issue. I have an HP JetDirect EX Plus
> > print server hooked up to my home network. There's an HP Deskjet 3820
> > attached to the parallel port on the EX Plus. Every once in a while,
> > for no apparent reason, the printer will come to life and feed a single
> > blank sheet through. This happens a couple of times a day. Anyone
> > have any idea what might be causing this? I'm posting to
> > comp.sys.mac.printing because there are 3 Macs hooked up to this
> > network (two running OS X, one running OS X Server).
>
> Are you connected to the internet? Do you have a firewall?
> If yes and no, then maybe someone on the outside discovered
> your network and is sending printer commands from time to
> time trying to hack you systems.

Yes and yes. (Good idea, though!)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.printing,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

In article <180220052011508174%lotofun61@yahoo.com>,
Lot-o-fun <lotofun61@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <john-6F4F7A.17181018022005@news.mpls.visi.com>, John A.
> Weeks III <john@johnweeks.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <180220050700405669%lotofun61@yahoo.com>,
> > Lot-o-fun <lotofun61@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The subject line states the issue. I have an HP JetDirect EX Plus
> > > print server hooked up to my home network. There's an HP Deskjet 3820
> > > attached to the parallel port on the EX Plus. Every once in a while,
> > > for no apparent reason, the printer will come to life and feed a single
> > > blank sheet through. This happens a couple of times a day. Anyone
> > > have any idea what might be causing this? I'm posting to
> > > comp.sys.mac.printing because there are 3 Macs hooked up to this
> > > network (two running OS X, one running OS X Server).
> >
> > Are you connected to the internet? Do you have a firewall?
> > If yes and no, then maybe someone on the outside discovered
> > your network and is sending printer commands from time to
> > time trying to hack you systems.
>
> Yes and yes. (Good idea, though!)

How about disconnecting things one at a time. First, verify
that it is coming over the network by yanking the network
cable to the JetDirect.