[SOLVED] HP Laptop 15-DY1301WM no display, but powers on..

Oct 3, 2021
My sisters laptop has no display but it powers on and the caps lock light turns on when I press it. I have done everything HP support instructed but it didn't fix it. I read the problems could be the ram or a problem with the screen itself. Wanted to hear others input, thanks!

Solution
From my experience, it's usually the RAM. To test if it's the screen itself, try connecting it to an external monitor. If it still won't show anything, then try reseating the RAM.
Oct 17, 2021
I have done everything HP support instructed but it didn't fix it

Please provide the info they instructed you to do. So we are not telling you the same instructionsets they did. in my opinion you should try to connect it to an external monitor. your HP laptop will have an hdmi output or a DP passthrough on usb-C in that case you should have an usb-c input on external display aswell. with hdmi you will soon see if there is displayed annything on the external monitor. if so.. .there are 3 possabillaty's left in my opinion. the lcd panel is broken. try shining a bright light on it and see if you faintly see anny images on the in your opinion broken display.. in that case the backlight is defective. and you will need a new panel. second the lcd cable is passed trough the hinges to the mainboard. a cable can get defective if it is not routed trough the hinge correctly. or the motherboard has an failure since on most motherboards the gpu chip is soldered directly on the mainboard.

if it is an ram issue you should get some indications by hearing beeps in some order and you could google the meaning of the sequence they sound like. and the laptop will not get past POST where the caps led will not work so in my opinion not a ram issue

Reactions: mrmike16

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
I have done everything HP support instructed but it didn't fix it

Please provide the info they instructed you to do. So we are not telling you the same instructionsets they did. in my opinion you should try to connect it to an external monitor. your HP laptop will have an hdmi output or a DP passthrough on usb-C in that case you should have an usb-c input on external display aswell. with hdmi you will soon see if there is displayed annything on the external monitor. if so.. .there are 3 possabillaty's left in my opinion. the lcd panel is broken. try shining a bright light on it and see if you faintly see anny images on the in your opinion broken display.. in that case the backlight is defective. and you will need a new panel. second the lcd cable is passed trough the hinges to the mainboard. a cable can get defective if it is not routed trough the hinge correctly. or the motherboard has an failure since on most motherboards the gpu chip is soldered directly on the mainboard.

if it is an ram issue you should get some indications by hearing beeps in some order and you could google the meaning of the sequence they sound like. and the laptop will not get past POST where the caps led will not work so in my opinion not a ram issue
I haven't had this happen on laptops, but on desktops when the RAM isn't in right and the system doesn't give a beep code (Which happens), the Caps Lock/Num Lock lights can turn on, but they won't turn off. Not on every computer, of course, but it happens.
But I agree with you, the screen is more likely to be the issue if the PC does turn on and displays video on an external display.