HP Laptop DEAD after BIOS update

Jan 21, 2018
I bought a new SSD&RAM for my laptop but when installing my laptop didn't want to boot. With the OG ram it would. So i googled and came across to update the BIOS. I upgraded it with the software of the HP website. It finished updating. But now my screen is black and i can't boot. The status LED's light up and there is NO disk activity whatsoever. My laptop doesn't even light up (the screen) It's just like its completly off... I NEED HELP RIGHT NOW!!!

I already tried on the HP forums but NOBODY wanted to answer!
My laptop is a : HP EliteBook 8540p Business
I already contacted my IT department of my business but im on a business trip right now. They told to google HP BIOS FLASH RECOVERY i already tried Windows+B but that didn't work because when i try my capslock flashes 2 times and the laptop reboots. The screen is COMPLETELY dead. No backlight even... Please help...

Hold down the powerbutton for a full minute (or a bit more). In older hp's this wiped the cmos and this might still work. If not I recommend you to open up the laptop and remove the cmos battery (rtc battery) and see if anything happens. If not I'm afraid your bios got corrupted.

Also you shouldn't have to upgrade your bios to add new ram. You might've just gotten a broken stick or incompatible ram.

Jan 21, 2018

I will try next week because im on a business trip and didnt take my laptop with me...

Feb 12, 2019
Is your problem got resolved?. If not then follow these instructions.
Your laptop won't boot, because, maybe you have added wrong frequency RAM. First, remove all newly connected hardware. Then, install CPU-Z in it. After that, check your pre-installed RAM model number. And, add the same RAM. Also, to update BIOS you can follow this article. - Install HP BIOS Update.
It could also possible that you have updated BIOS in the wrong way.

TRENDING THREADS