Question Hp laptop has no display

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Hello,' I have the HP Probook 640 G1. it works fine but for the life of me, I can't get the display to show anything. I connected it to an external monitor to be able to use the laptop and everything is cool. So I thought maybe the screen blew out and replaced it with a new one but still have no display. Only thru the external monitor. Anyone know what it is with this laptop having this issue? Thanks.

I also replaced the video cable as well. And did all the power resets, battery removal, etc.

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Have the laptop being able to display on main screen before? If so, did something happens to the laptop prior to this?
Yes it was working before. I turned it off and added a skin on top. After that, no display and was able to still use an external during diagnostics and had display that way. And I did buy a new screen so if I damaged the other then why is the new one not displaying?

Skin was placed on the top cover.So I thought maybe I pressed down too hard and cracked the LCD.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
With laptops, they have such precise fitment on their components which I have found to be troublesome when trying to rebuild or repair them. If you have taken the laptop apart to replace some of these things, there's a good chance that when reassembling it one of the cables could have come loose or completely detached. Those tiny little ribbon cables seem to be able to pull out with the tiniest bit of effort from my experience and I find you really have to take your time and double check everything is 100% locked in. Before taking more drastic measures like junking it, have a good slow rebuild on it and throwing a little bit of non-conductive tape to secure those pesky cables down never hurts.

On the other side of things, if you were not the one who did the work... or if the laptop hasn't been opened yet, I would suspect there is a hardware issue where the screen is not seeing a signal or getting power from the rest of the computer. I'd take it back and have whoever looked at it to do it again if you don't want to risk going through another screen or the hassle!