Question HP laptop hinge issue

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I have a laptop I am looking at for a family member. It's an HP 17-by1053dx. On one side, the hinge is messed up. I removed the cover and found there was one screw messing. But that is not the only issue. There are two other screws in the hinge that screw into a plastic piece that is attached to the laptop. It seems that piece is broke off. It doesn't look like that piece can be replaced since it is part of the casing. If I put the missing screw in, it seems to help but not sure how long it will last with only one screw holding it. Trying to figure out if I have any options. It does open much better when the missing screw is replaced but not sure how long it will last.

View: https://imgur.com/nprUl5j

Lutfij

Titan
If you look towards the bottom of the image, there are gold inserts in the other screw mounting holes. That's what's missing from the two you've circled in red. They are what add reinforcement to the hinge and the chassis. You're best option is to replace the bottom shell/palmrest and cover with one sourced off of Ebay or contacting HP, though the price of the shell might be more than you're going to accept.

If you don't repair the hinge as it was from factory, the opening and closing of the screen will cause stress on the plastic area surrounding the hinge and end up with far worse damages/broken off bits/pieces.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
If you look towards the bottom of the image, there are gold inserts in the other screw mounting holes. That's what's missing from the two you've circled in red. They are what add reinforcement to the hinge and the chassis. You're best option is to replace the bottom shell/palmrest and cover with one sourced off of Ebay or contacting HP, though the price of the shell might be more than you're going to accept.

If you don't repair the hinge as it was from factory, the opening and closing of the screen will cause stress on the plastic area surrounding the hinge and end up with far worse damages/broken off bits/pieces.

Looked up the top cover on ebay and looks like they are around $90. Will have to find out what she wants to do. If she wants it replaced, will have to see if I can find a video on how to remove everything. After doing a quick search on youtube, couldn't find a video for this specific model.

In that pic, I am able to put a screw in the hole on the right of the metal hinge/bracket and it does open better. But guessing it would not hold up that long and put more pressure on that one area and mess that up eventually.

In that pic, I am able to put a screw in the hole on the right of the metal hinge/bracket and it does open better. But guessing it would not hold up that long and put more pressure on that one area and mess that up eventually.
Sadly I have seen this failure happen on a lot of laptops I've worked with over the years, and I have learned it is best if you do not reassemble it with missing screen hinge screws. If you do likely when you try to open and close the lid it will cause damage to the plastic around the threads and make the situation worse.

If you can find the broken plastic pieces with the metal threaded inserts, you could try gluing them back into place and then screwing the hinges back into place. This can sometimes work, but sometimes it will just break again.

Otherwise,
You're best option is to replace the bottom shell/palmrest and cover with one sourced off of Ebay or contacting HP, though the price of the shell might be more than you're going to accept.
This is your best bet

Lutfij

Titan
If you had the stray bits/broken off pieces, you could use JBWeld to get the gold inserts back in there though that would likely be temporary as I've had a similar incident with a couple of laptops I've had to repair. The solution is temporary and not as peace of mind as a shell replacement.

Lutfij

Titan
Super glue never worked for me and they just ate away at the laptop making more fault lines across the hinged area. I'll always replace the shell after having to deal with headaches pertaining to repairing the screw mounts with adhesive.

Last edited:

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Sadly I have seen this failure happen on a lot of laptops I've worked with over the years, and I have learned it is best if you do not reassemble it with missing screen hinge screws. If you do likely when you try to open and close the lid it will cause damage to the plastic around the threads and make the situation worse.

If you can find the broken plastic pieces with the metal threaded inserts, you could try gluing them back into place and then screwing the hinges back into place. This can sometimes work, but sometimes it will just break again.

Otherwise,

This is your best bet

I found a few broken pieces but none with the gold inserts and those pieces are in pieces lol.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Your best bet in this case is to purchase a replacement cover. I see they are around 30-40 dollars on ebay, you might be able to find one for less with a little digging.

You seen them for $40 on ebay? Do you have a link for that? I looked and seen them for around $90.

Will also need to figure out how to replace it. Hopefully I can find a video or something.

I believe this is the correct part I need. What does PTP touchpad mean? Most of ones I looked at are not PTP touchpad. How can I find out for sure if I need PTP or non PTP?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165304586683?hash=item267cebd1bb:g:DXYAAOSwLCJh812i&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8KJ7heN2WGrayAAdbASEZuMWRGx0pndTHDt3t7VNYcjU2wsPLnM2PpV9HAcv3hlOQSE6sKjTCZXIumZpw8e+H8q+GFA8hXEyANW0VAgJLsEj2RMAq2yDB8x9k+yDYsxTyWWsN+6nm5JH7GZ1aFC4Ov9hqizoJIIRC29KYVp0JFeo1C7e8xv2uMRUV2UzT7rUQl7LO0QNShgc6RYbcqPmf3fvP+rsvWyrMX8hlVn+NNU1pZnpKqlMo11MBg2tOGigXT81r47zCCAAR8DM+XfgrjX0iOGfJSF1Q/x7gQ4UJ6cwTbaS2nhaCIYzBtRe2wViNA==|tkp:BFBMsK-brslh

Last edited:

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I bought the shell and received it today. Been working on getting the parts transferred. All was going good until I was trying to put a card in place. In the process of routing the wire for it, the wire came disconnected from the card. Looking at it, it looks like it is can be popped back on instead of soldered but could be wrong. I did try putting it back on but with no luck. Not sure how well you can tell from the pic but it goes on the top right of the card.

View: https://imgur.com/JnpZmYu