Question HP laptop is not charging ?

May 23, 2023
Hi guys

Does anyone maybe have an idea about this.
I replaced my laptop's battery a bit more than 2 weeks ago, but now recently when I plug in the charger it charges for 10 seconds and then stops. I've fresh installed Windows, updated the bios, tested on a different power outlet, tested with two different power adapters, updated all the drivers and hard power reset the laptop, but no luck so far.

When I remove the battery and try to run from just the power adapter, the laptop won't even come on. I've also tried uninstalling the battery and ac adapter drivers, disconnecting adapter and held in the power for a minute to discharge but that also doesn't work. the diagnostics tool also said that the battery passes the check. I've also tested the dc power jack with a multimeter to see if the correct voltage comes through. The battery only charges when I have put the laptop of and close it specifically which is strange and the battery does last as long as it is intended to. Now I'm not certain if the battery is at fault since it doesn't even come on with just the power adapter.

Does anyone maybe have any ideas?

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
At this point, 2 things could be bad.

1. The battery
2. The PS jack on your computer

If the battery replacement does not fix it, you should probably replace the whole computer. The PS jack is going to require someone with elite soldering skills to replace it, and it's not worth doing IMHO.

Sorry for the bad news. ☹️

By power I meant wattage. How much Watt do the chargers provide? Should be at least 45W
19.5V should be the voltage of the charger

How much voltage is your battery rated? there are two versions I found. 10.8V/10.95V and 14.4V/14.8V

Which new battery did you get? Post a link of the shop´s website if possible

Last edited:
May 23, 2023
By power I meant wattage. How much Watt do the chargers provide? Should be at least 45W
19.5V should be the voltage of the charger

How much voltage is your battery rated? there are two versions I found. 10.8V/10.95V and 14.4V/14.8V

Which new battery did you get? Post a link of the shop´s website if possible
it's a 45w charger, i've also tried 65w universal charger. Unfortunately i don't have a link to a shop, i bought it from the sales rep of a supplier directly. the battery is rated at 14.6v

May 23, 2023
i've fitted the old battery again and when i plug in the charger it runs for 10 seconds and then the whole system shuts down since there is no power. So i don't think this could be battery related. Can a dc jack work intermittently if it's faulty or would it just stop working completely or could this maybe be motherboard issue?

looks like the dc jack is a cable which can be easily replaced