Question HP laptop motherboard smd identification help

Feb 16, 2020
Long time lurker and finally decided to make an account and post. I have a problem that is driving me nuts and I hope someone here can help. I have an HP laptop, hp 15-da0032nr. It has an i7 8550 on the board. The laptop motherboard part is L20371-601. So here is the problem: the computer does not pass POST. i got a cap lock light blinking code. 5 long and 3 short. I guess it is referred to by HP as simply "5.3". Researching the code told me that this means "System board 5.3 (blink) The embedded controller times out waiting for the BIOS".
I tried resetting the bios but to no avail. I then opened up the laptop and I am pretty sure I found the problem. I have a charred/burnt off smd on the motherboard. I am skilled in soldering and want to replace the component, but the component was totally burnt and I cannot tell what the component was! I cannot find any motherboard schematic to tell me the individual component list. So I found this picture online of a WORKING same model motherboard which shows the intact smd. Doesnt seem to help me much, it is blank and "PLM2" is listed underneath which is a designation I am not familiar with. I realize that replacing this part may not fix the issue as maybe there is a mosfet shorted or something which caused the smd to burn up....but I need to know what this piece is first before I continue. I uploaded the original and edited best quality image I could find online of a working same model motherboard zooming in on the part that failed in my laptop. I hope someone can assist! Thank you!!

can u see which mainboard it is?
la-xxxx

edit: some googling told me LA-G07EP, schematics arent available yet
if its under warranty, best bet would be RMA, if its not, theres most likeely no point in repairing it withou schematics..and even then, do u know why it burned? do u know if replacing burned smd will fix it?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
if its under warranty, best bet would be RMA, if its not, theres most likeely no point in repairing it withou schematics..and even then, do u know why it burned? do u know if replacing burned smd will fix it?
Yea....i touched upon that. I dont know why it burned or if just replacing it will fix the board. It was just a starting point. Theres no point in troubleshooting other pieces if I cant complete the circuit without that unknown smd.

I think youre right. Probably no point in repair if schematics are unknown as of now. It frustrates me when I get situations like this. I MIGHT be able to fix it and save myself from buying a new mother board....but its a pile of junk without that schematic. Maybe Ill get lucky or maybe I can figure it out from a working board. Thanks for chiming in!