Question HP laptop showing mysterious issues even after several replacements, please help

Nov 4, 2021
I have a very old HP G6 2007tx laptop (i5 2450M, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7670M 1GB graphics) which was a mid-range beast of its time 9 years ago back in 2012.
Recently I was running it normally one day when it shut down suddenly and then wouldn't turn on, only the power light went on and the wifi light stayed red and the screen went black and won't come up.

So I cleaned the heat sink, changed the fan and re-applied the thermal paste and did overall service and cleaning of the laptop. I also replaced the keyboard and battery since they were also worn.

The laptop powered on and worked fine for 2-3 days until one day I restarted it and yet again it showed only power light and the screen didn't turn on at all so I suspected overheating and tried starting once more after a minute and then it came back only to do the same thing on a second restart ultimately the screen completely stopped coming back and only the power light would show up so the exact same issue came back .

I made another attempt and repeated the thermal paste and cleaning and the laptop started to function normally for 2-3 more days and then suddenly the same cycle of issues appeared ultimately bringing it back to square one. May I know what could be the issue?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think your laptop's motherboard is trying to tell you that it's had enough and is giving up the ghost. You might want to look into each square inch of the motherboard to see if you have any blown, burnt or bulging capacitors to indicate that the power delivery is compromised or at the very least you might be suffering from a grounding issue(which might explain why the laptop works after being disassembled).

Either of which, you should look into a concurrent generation laptop that can do your tasks more efficiently. Also, please backup your critical data in case the laptop croaks for good. To note, disassembling and reassembling a laptop that's more than a decade old does not bode well for the chassis of the laptop and in turn will show cracks and end up being unusable after multiple disassembling.

Nov 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think your laptop's motherboard is trying to tell you that it's had enough and is giving up the ghost. You might want to look into each square inch of the motherboard to see if you have any blown, burnt or bulging capacitors to indicate that the power delivery is compromised or at the very least you might be suffering from a grounding issue(which might explain why the laptop works after being disassembled).

Either of which, you should look into a concurrent generation laptop that can do your tasks more efficiently. Also, please backup your critical data in case the laptop croaks for good. To note, disassembling and reassembling a laptop that's more than a decade old does not bode well for the chassis of the laptop and in turn will show cracks and end up being unusable after multiple disassembling.
I had been using this infrequently and lightly for 9 years without service and I believe I used it with a faulty slow fan and blocked heat sink from early to mid 2020 when it would crash out of overheating and would need a similar wait but would almost always restart fine all at once (with a fan error message) at the time of booting....to check the overheating I installed speedfan temp monitor which used to show temps at 90+ degrees and to overcome this I reduced it's performance to very low settings but still it would seldom face this issue of crashing and needing to wait before booting up again and I think it ultimately got fried one day and the screen stopped coming back and only the power light would come on, that's a hint where it all started. I didn't have any experience with opening up a laptop until this time only when a local engineer did it before me and I somehow learned it from him else I would have cleaned it that time only.

Last edited: