[SOLVED] HP Laptop stuck at startup after interrupted update

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
For a certain number of unfortunate events my laptop got turned off while applying some updates before shutdown. Everything seemed fine for some time but now I'm currently stuck at the windows logo startup screen and can't seem to progress, not even to the login screen. By now I've already tried to start up in safe mode, safe mode with networking and startup repair but nothing is working for now. I've already considered a fresh recovery, but I can't lose some irreplaceable documents on my drive, so I'm looking for a way to repair my startup , and/or copy my files into an external drive before even trying to start a recovery option for the moment. If anyone can help me with my situation I would be extremely grateful as for nothing seems to solve my problem.

Solution
Are you able to extract the HDD (or SSD) and connect it as an external drive to another machine in order to recover your user data? That's what I'd do, then end up doing a completely clean reinstall after you put it back in the laptop.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Are you able to extract the HDD (or SSD) and connect it as an external drive to another machine in order to recover your user data? That's what I'd do, then end up doing a completely clean reinstall after you put it back in the laptop.

Solution

AdrianFF

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I honestly don't know if I can, but I'll get to it, thanks.