Hp laser 4100 - 7 lines per inch - How?

rover

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

I have a number of HP printers. I want this to work on any one of them
but right now I'll settle for the 4100.

I can see how to set font through PCL codes programmatically and can get
a list of those by printing them from the front panel menu. I need to
print 7 lines per inch vertically. That's 70 lines on a 8.5 X 11 inch
standard paper portrait with 1/2 inch margin top and bottom.

How?

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

"Rover" <rover44614@RemoveThisStuffNetscape.net> wrote in message
> I have a number of HP printers. I want this to work on any one of them
> but right now I'll settle for the 4100.
>
> I can see how to set font through PCL codes programmatically and can get
> a list of those by printing them from the front panel menu. I need to
> print 7 lines per inch vertically. That's 70 lines on a 8.5 X 11 inch
> standard paper portrait with 1/2 inch margin top and bottom.
>
> How?

The escape sequence would be <esc>&l7D

That's
<esc> is the escape character (hex 0x1b)
&
l is lower case "L"
7 for the line pitch
D is upper case "D"

However, my information does not list 7. It does show 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12,
etc.

Another option is this command: <esc>&l#C

where # is the number of 1/48" per line. Note how the above divide evenly
into 48.

This info is for a LaserJet II, so it is old PCL and probably supported.
However, 7 lines per inch may not be supported by your printer(s).

At least, here is a starting point.

craigm

rover

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

thanks...

My problem has also been that it doesn't show 7 lpi but I got another
one to work that way but I really don't know how. I'm sorry for being
so cryptic but I'm really doing this in Unix and there are many places
to do the setup, none of which seem to be straight forward.

Jim

craigm wrote:

> "Rover" <rover44614@RemoveThisStuffNetscape.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a number of HP printers. I want this to work on any one of them
>>but right now I'll settle for the 4100.
>>
>>I can see how to set font through PCL codes programmatically and can get
>>a list of those by printing them from the front panel menu. I need to
>>print 7 lines per inch vertically. That's 70 lines on a 8.5 X 11 inch
>>standard paper portrait with 1/2 inch margin top and bottom.
>>
>>How?
>>

> The escape sequence would be <esc>&l7D
>
> That's
> <esc> is the escape character (hex 0x1b)
> &
> l is lower case "L"
> 7 for the line pitch
> D is upper case "D"
>
> However, my information does not list 7. It does show 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12,
> etc.
>
> Another option is this command: <esc>&l#C
>
> where # is the number of 1/48" per line. Note how the above divide evenly
> into 48.
>
> This info is for a LaserJet II, so it is old PCL and probably supported.
> However, 7 lines per inch may not be supported by your printer(s).
>
> At least, here is a starting point.
>
> craigm

Are you using Windows or Linux or something else? Are you writing some software
to generate a report? I'll assume the latter, so you need a list of PCL codes
to set fonts, font sizes, etc... Ben Myers

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:18:44 -0500, Rover
<rover44614@RemoveThisStuffNetscape.net> wrote:

>I have a number of HP printers. I want this to work on any one of them
>but right now I'll settle for the 4100.
>
>I can see how to set font through PCL codes programmatically and can get
>a list of those by printing them from the front panel menu. I need to
>print 7 lines per inch vertically. That's 70 lines on a 8.5 X 11 inch
>standard paper portrait with 1/2 inch margin top and bottom.
>
>How?

rover

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

I'm using a Microfocus Cobol program to though HP Unix. I've listed the
PCL codes through the front panel of the printer.