HP LaserJet 1022 USB Error

I installed a HP Laserjet 1022 on Windows XP Professional and it
functions correctly for awhile. Then I get the message "This device
can perform faster" "This USB device can peform faster if you connect
it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port..."

I have no faster ports on my Dell Insprion 1000 laptop. Initially I
thought that turning off the message would somehow solve the problem,
so I checked the "Don't tell me about USB errors" check box under
Device Managers. Unfortunately this did not correct the problem.

Workaround...

Whenever I want to use the printer I pull the USB plug from the back of
the laptop -- wait a couple of seconds -- and then I plug it back in.
Any jobs that are in the que run at that time too.

There's got to be a better way. If you know, please tell!

Thank you,

RBollinger

"robboll" <robboll@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have no faster ports on my Dell Insprion 1000 laptop.

Are you sure? Check the specs for your laptop. Does it have USB 2.0 ports or
the slower USB 1.1 ports?

Some web sites like this one
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4545-3121_16-30984335.html
or
http://www.mikeshardware.com/reviews/dellinspiron1000/
suggest it has USB 2.0 ports.

If thats correct then it sounds like the USB 2.0 ports are operating in the
slower 1.1 mode. The best fix would be to get them working in USB 2.0 mode
rather than surpressing the error using the device manager.

USB 2.0 support requires WinXP SP1 and even then it depends you get to SP1
(eg preinstalled or upgrade).

Colin