HP LaserJet 4P Paper Jams - strange problem

Hi all

With my HP LaserJet 4P experience the following problem:

1. When job of few pages is processed from the tray, after few pages
are printed I get eventually "Paper jam" error. The actual reason
found by me is that there is overlapp (of ~1 inch) between previous
paper and the new one: The printer begin to load new paper too early,
before the previous paper left the path, and it prints the bottom of
the previous page on the head of the new paper, then stop on "Paper
jam".
2. When job is processes from manual feed, and I wait until I see the
previous paper begin to get out before I feed the new paper, there are
no problems.

Do someone experienced this problem? Have any idea how to locate/solve
the problem?

With best regards
Yosi yarchi

Baz

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Yosi,

I recently had a similar problem with my HP Laserjet IIIP, which I almost
gave up on until I got a clue from the net.

There are solenoids which release and latch clutches in the paper feeder and
elsewhere (mine had two in the sheet feeder and one elsewhere which wasn't
the problem but I fixed it anyway). They look like relays without any
contact sets. Under the armatures (the bit that moves) there was a sticky
residue which was the remains of small felt pads which provided an air gap.
I cleaned and replaced mine with small pieces of self adhesive felt, but you
could use other things. The sticking armatures mess up the paper timing.

Mine started by ejecting blank sheets occasionally from the optional sheet
feeder, and gradually got worse, but was fine on the single sheet feeder,
even if in a stack.

Hope this helps your problem.

Regards
Barry

"Yosi" <yarchil@hotmail.co.il> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> With my HP LaserJet 4P experience the following problem:
>
> 1. When job of few pages is processed from the tray, after few pages
> are printed I get eventually "Paper jam" error. The actual reason
> found by me is that there is overlapp (of ~1 inch) between previous
> paper and the new one: The printer begin to load new paper too early,
> before the previous paper left the path, and it prints the bottom of
> the previous page on the head of the new paper, then stop on "Paper
> jam".
> 2. When job is processes from manual feed, and I wait until I see the
> previous paper begin to get out before I feed the new paper, there are
> no problems.
>
> Do someone experienced this problem? Have any idea how to locate/solve
> the problem?
>
> With best regards
> Yosi yarchi

Hi
The solenoid is hiden behind plastic cover, and I'm afraid that I will
have to dismantle the printer to reach the solenoid. Maybe I'll leave
it, and use the manual feed.
Thanks
Yosi Yarchi

"Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<40fe44e4$0$27217$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>...
> Yosi,
>
> I recently had a similar problem with my HP Laserjet IIIP, which I almost
> gave up on until I got a clue from the net.
>
> There are solenoids which release and latch clutches in the paper feeder and
> elsewhere (mine had two in the sheet feeder and one elsewhere which wasn't
> the problem but I fixed it anyway). They look like relays without any
> contact sets. Under the armatures (the bit that moves) there was a sticky
> residue which was the remains of small felt pads which provided an air gap.
> I cleaned and replaced mine with small pieces of self adhesive felt, but you
> could use other things. The sticking armatures mess up the paper timing.
>
> Mine started by ejecting blank sheets occasionally from the optional sheet
> feeder, and gradually got worse, but was fine on the single sheet feeder,
> even if in a stack.
>
> Hope this helps your problem.
>
> Regards
> Barry
>
> "Yosi" <yarchil@hotmail.co.il> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > With my HP LaserJet 4P experience the following problem:
> >
> > 1. When job of few pages is processed from the tray, after few pages
> > are printed I get eventually "Paper jam" error. The actual reason
> > found by me is that there is overlapp (of ~1 inch) between previous
> > paper and the new one: The printer begin to load new paper too early,
> > before the previous paper left the path, and it prints the bottom of
> > the previous page on the head of the new paper, then stop on "Paper
> > jam".
> > 2. When job is processes from manual feed, and I wait until I see the
> > previous paper begin to get out before I feed the new paper, there are
> > no problems.
> >
> > Do someone experienced this problem? Have any idea how to locate/solve
> > the problem?
> >
> > With best regards
> > Yosi yarchi

TRENDING THREADS