HP Laserjet 5p page prints on XP startup

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
1,944
0
19,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I've recently installed a LJ 5p to my laptop, running XP Home. Everything
works great, and I've updated the driver to the most recent release
(2.0.12.2).

My problem is each time the laptop restarts, a page is printed with 2 U's in
the upper left corner. That's all there is, UU in the corner, nothing else.

What can be causing this?

I've deleted the printer from the computer, and re-installed the driver and
printer to no avail.

Any suggestions?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Some software is likely issuing a print command. You could have
something runing at startup from a previous print package, or
a Fax program, etc.

Suggest that you Run MSCONFIG (Start/RUN=MSCONFIG),
look at the Startup items to see if there are any possibilities.
If you suspect one, uncheck it, and reboot.
You can see a list of startup item defintions at:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=print
or http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=hp
(Note that there are several groups of web pages that match;
just click the next group at the bottom of each matched item screen.

Skip

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:50:47 -0500, "Tony" <tmedina174@aol.com> wrote:

-|I've recently installed a LJ 5p to my laptop, running XP Home. Everything
-|works great, and I've updated the driver to the most recent release
-|(2.0.12.2).
-|
-|My problem is each time the laptop restarts, a page is printed with 2 U's in
-|the upper left corner. That's all there is, UU in the corner, nothing else.
-|
-|What can be causing this?
-|
-|I've deleted the printer from the computer, and re-installed the driver and
-|printer to no avail.
-|
-|Any suggestions?
-|


Herman D. (Skip) Knoble, Research Associate
(a computing professional for 38 years)
Email: SkipKnobleLESS at SPAMpsu dot edu
Web: http://www.personal.psu.edu/hdk
Penn State Information Technology Services
Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
Graduate Education and Research Services
Penn State University
214C Computer Building
University Park, PA 16802-21013
Phone:+1 814 865-0818 Fax:+1 814 863-7049
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Printing of random garbage characters on a printer is often a sign of a
defective printer cable or a loose connection between printer and computer.

Try another printer cable and make sure it is attached snugly at both ends.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:50:47 -0500, "Tony" <tmedina174@aol.com> wrote:

>I've recently installed a LJ 5p to my laptop, running XP Home. Everything
>works great, and I've updated the driver to the most recent release
>(2.0.12.2).
>
>My problem is each time the laptop restarts, a page is printed with 2 U's in
>the upper left corner. That's all there is, UU in the corner, nothing else.
>
>What can be causing this?
>
>I've deleted the printer from the computer, and re-installed the driver and
>printer to no avail.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>
 

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
1,944
0
19,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Well, just tried a new cable, and it's securely attached at both ends, and
still got a UU printed in the upper left corner as soon as Windows started.


<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:41bdb093.1665542@nntp.charter.net...
> Printing of random garbage characters on a printer is often a sign of a
> defective printer cable or a loose connection between printer and
computer.
>
> Try another printer cable and make sure it is attached snugly at both
ends.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:50:47 -0500, "Tony" <tmedina174@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >I've recently installed a LJ 5p to my laptop, running XP Home.
Everything
> >works great, and I've updated the driver to the most recent release
> >(2.0.12.2).
> >
> >My problem is each time the laptop restarts, a page is printed with 2 U's
in
> >the upper left corner. That's all there is, UU in the corner, nothing
else.
> >
> >What can be causing this?
> >
> >I've deleted the printer from the computer, and re-installed the driver
and
> >printer to no avail.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Tony wrote:
> Well, just tried a new cable, and it's securely attached at both
> ends, and still got a UU printed in the upper left corner as soon as
> Windows started.
>
>
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> news:41bdb093.1665542@nntp.charter.net...
>> Printing of random garbage characters on a printer is often a sign
>> of a defective printer cable or a loose connection between printer
>> and computer.
>>
>> Try another printer cable and make sure it is attached snugly at
>> both ends.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:50:47 -0500, "Tony" <tmedina174@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently installed a LJ 5p to my laptop, running XP Home.
>>> Everything works great, and I've updated the driver to the most
>>> recent release (2.0.12.2).
>>>
>>> My problem is each time the laptop restarts, a page is printed with
>>> 2 U's in the upper left corner. That's all there is, UU in the
>>> corner, nothing else.
>>>
>>> What can be causing this?
>>>
>>> I've deleted the printer from the computer, and re-installed the
>>> driver and printer to no avail.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

Remove the printer and revert to the driver that is supplied with XP, or
try an older HP driver. Disable the autostart of the HP printer
management software if that is installed. You might search Google
Groups limited to the group microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax since
this type of problem excusive to HP printer drivers had been discussed
to death early in the release of XP.

Q