[SOLVED] Hp Laserjet M476DN broken network port . HELP if I can connect via USB

giannir

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Hi,
I was after a good laserjet and a friend of mine has got a HP M476dn with a broken network port.

This make the printer useless and I won`t get rid for £50.

I`m tempted to get if if someone could assure me the printer would scan and print via usb and I can still connect it to my workstation or laptop. The printer will be for home use and I don`t have a network system but I will need to use it as a simple all in one printer.

Thanks for your help

Solution
Does the following link match the printer?

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2014/MWC/ColorLaserJetPro_MFP_M476_datasheet.pdf

If so, the product "walkaround" shows both an Ethernet port (15) and a Hi-speed USB 2.0 USB port (16).

So if the USB port is not damaged you should be able to connect the printer to a host computer and share the printer accordingly versus a network connection.

Go online and research the printer. Look for the User Guide/Manual and the Maintenance manuals. Read reviews and HP printer forums/FAQs.

Look for the drivers that match the host computer's OS.

Decide if the printer appears to be a good buy or not with respect to £50.

If so, have your friend bring the printer over (noted that the weight is...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link match the printer?

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2014/MWC/ColorLaserJetPro_MFP_M476_datasheet.pdf

If so, the product "walkaround" shows both an Ethernet port (15) and a Hi-speed USB 2.0 USB port (16).

So if the USB port is not damaged you should be able to connect the printer to a host computer and share the printer accordingly versus a network connection.

Go online and research the printer. Look for the User Guide/Manual and the Maintenance manuals. Read reviews and HP printer forums/FAQs.

Look for the drivers that match the host computer's OS.

Decide if the printer appears to be a good buy or not with respect to £50.

If so, have your friend bring the printer over (noted that the weight is about 62 pounds) so the two of you can set it up and test the printer together.

If you can get the printer setup and working with respect to scanning and printing then that would be encouraging towards a successful buy.

But do look beforehand into the costs of replacement ink cartridges or possible future repairs. Consider that the printer could fail at any time....

Solution

giannir

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Yes, The model is the M476DN . Still has got black toner 70% and 20% colours. I don't use it a lot but I'm tired of inkjet printer which get ink dry after a bit of non use. £50 is not cheap but I hope the printer will make the money.

I have no idea how they managed to break the Ethernet port but that's what I have been told.

Ralston18

Titan
Only you can decide what risks you are willing to take with respect to purchasing the printer and paying the amount asked.

Again, have you friend bring the printer to you. Set up and test. Inspect the insides, dirt, loose toner, worn components.

After all that make a counter offer. Used equipment is always an "iffy" thing. However, sometimes the deal really works out. Other times - not so much....

TRENDING THREADS