HP Launches New Z Series Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

Completely different design team located in Fort Collins, Colorado. Designed and extensively tested, which is why they are pretty reliable too. I went on a tour of their Ft. Collins facility a few years ago, other people did stories about it previous to me... they do stuff like test the USB ports with a machine that plugs and unplugs the port hundred of times and then check the wear with a scanning electron microscope to see how it wears to make sure they are going to withstand use. They drop test systems in their shipping boxes and everything...

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Hmm, I suppose it does mean one can use the PCIe lanes for something else if preferred.

Would you say that what you saw was comparable to the way Dell does its Precision systems? (or used to) I put together a Dell T7500 way back which fairly impressed me, though it was annoying not to be able to emply Quadro SLI in most cases due to silly OEM restrictions (I asked NVIDIA, they didn't know about them).

Ian.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
The HP machines run much quieter than the Dells. I dont know what kind of testing they do, I've just seen HPs.

Also,, i got confirmation from HP,, the 2 x8 slots with no external access are basically intended to be used for PCIe storage.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Ah I see, makes sense in that case. Btw, the T7500 I built is basically silent.

Btw, I'm just gonna say this here, whoever's responsible for the toms home page change is out of their minds. 11 page scrolls to get to the bottom? Not being able to see most key things at a glance straight away is annoying. Why do web sites now think that everything has to be hugely enlarged with loads of blank space everywhere, using fonts that are hard to read? Think I'll switch to the UK site for now, unless that gets changed too. And I'm sick of that notifications popup btw, which often ruins open-link-in-separate-tab actions. This is not aimed at you of course, but feel free to poke wheoever is responsible in the ribs.

Oh toms, what hast thou done...

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.