HP LJ2300 demanding Transparency...

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001
223
0
18,680
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

All,

I've got a bit of a strange problem with a LJ2300 which seems to have
developed a fetish for Transparency through the manual feed tray...

Basics first :-
Win 2k3 SBS server.
Win XP clients.
PCL6 driver downloaded from HP's website this am. v60.5.103.42
Printer settings reset to factory defaults.

I can print from any client on the network absolutely fine - IF I
explicitly request the job comes from tray 2 through the driver's
properties.

If I go with the default of "Automatically Select" or pick "Printer Auto
Select", then it'll print the job fine to Tray 2, before demanding to be
fed a sheet of A4 Transparency in Tray 1. That needs either cancelling or
sending to Tray 2 before another job can be printed.

The behaviour is the same from all clients.

Any thoughts?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <Xns96D88D1DC7E79adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170>, Adrian
<toomany2cvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a bit of a strange problem with a LJ2300 which seems to have
> developed a fetish for Transparency through the manual feed tray...

Adrian-

I've had that problem with several other HP printers. In those cases, the
printer's setup had the wrong paper type selected for a particular tray.
The solution was to go into the setup from the printer's control panel,
and change the paper type for the problem tray. Since your Tray 2 works,
see what type paper it has selected, and change Tray 1 to match.

Fred
 

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
1,944
0
19,780
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Adrian <toomany2cvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>All,
>
>I've got a bit of a strange problem with a LJ2300 which seems to have
>developed a fetish for Transparency through the manual feed tray...
>
>Basics first :-
>Win 2k3 SBS server.
>Win XP clients.
>PCL6 driver downloaded from HP's website this am. v60.5.103.42
>Printer settings reset to factory defaults.
>
>I can print from any client on the network absolutely fine - IF I
>explicitly request the job comes from tray 2 through the driver's
>properties.
>
>If I go with the default of "Automatically Select" or pick "Printer Auto
>Select", then it'll print the job fine to Tray 2, before demanding to be
>fed a sheet of A4 Transparency in Tray 1. That needs either cancelling or
>sending to Tray 2 before another job can be printed.
>
>The behaviour is the same from all clients.
>
>Any thoughts?

Nearly all problems of this type are related to the settings in the printer
driver and the application. But first of all the LJ2300 has an option under
Paper Handling Menu where tray 1 can be set to transparency, have you checked
this? I would check all of the printer user options using the control panel and
make sure they are set correctly. If that is OK then you need to check the
printer driver Printing Preferences AND Properties (both of these) and ensure
all is well. Then you need to check that the printer properties in the
application are correct, some applications overide the OS properties.
Tony
 

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001
223
0
18,680
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Tony () gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

>>I can print from any client on the network absolutely fine - IF I
>>explicitly request the job comes from tray 2 through the driver's
>>properties.
>>
>>If I go with the default of "Automatically Select" or pick "Printer
>>Auto Select", then it'll print the job fine to Tray 2, before
>>demanding to be fed a sheet of A4 Transparency in Tray 1. That needs
>>either cancelling or sending to Tray 2 before another job can be
>>printed.
>>
>>The behaviour is the same from all clients.

> Nearly all problems of this type are related to the settings in the
> printer driver and the application. But first of all the LJ2300 has an
> option under Paper Handling Menu where tray 1 can be set to
> transparency, have you checked this? I would check all of the printer
> user options using the control panel and make sure they are set
> correctly. If that is OK then you need to check the printer driver
> Printing Preferences AND Properties (both of these) and ensure all is
> well. Then you need to check that the printer properties in the
> application are correct, some applications overide the OS properties.

Tray 1 settings are "Any Type/Any Size" as default - as I said, the
printer's been reset back to factory default.

I think you maybe misunderstand me slightly, though - it's not trying to
print the *job* onto Transparency. The job comes out of Tray 2's plain A4
supply quite happily. Oh, no. It's demanding to printing a spurious extra
blank page onto this mysterious transparency...

Poltergeist, I reckons.

Anyway - things move on. After a two and a half hour (and very frustrating)
online support chat session with HP's Indian call centre, it IS now
printing fine - BUT...

Now I can't get into the flamin' Print Preferences on any of the clients -
Try and go to the Print Properties, and you get a protection fault dialog
box... <Grrrr>