HP Makes Affordable 21.5" Touchscreen Win 7 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
tell me again how a touch screen for my pc is useful? all i can think of is tapping on the screen of l4d and watching zombies heads pop but thats it.

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]tell me again how a touch screen for my pc is useful? all i can think of is tapping on the screen of l4d and watching zombies heads pop but thats it.[/citation]

It would make sniping pretty easy no?

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]rajaton[/nom]It would make sniping pretty easy no?[/citation]

You're retarded. Your idea only works in rail shooters.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]touching the screen would be easier than aiming the mouse[/citation]

How would that work? Tap screen to shoot. How to turn?

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]How would that work? Tap screen to shoot. How to turn?[/citation]
Use your keyboard, easier than that it's impossible.. ;)

I've had a TX1000 and I did try on CounterStrike, and yes, it was good, but I hated the fact that I was on a laptop. Now on a desktop? Perfect!

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
@dingumf

No, I'm not retarded, I do that with my HP Touchscreen PC and it works amazingly well. That being said it is a 26" instead of a 22", but the idea is the same. I use a palm pilot pen for it.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The LED and Camera tech has been out for awhile. Smartboard is the only company I've seen use it (just off the top of my head). If HP gets the cameras and LEDs as close to the screen surface as possible, this will be really cool. If there is even the slightest gap, the user will need to compensate for where he wants to touch and where it looks like he's touching unless he is directly behind his finger as he touches the spot.

Didn't some kid at MIT make a multi-touch version using this tech?

dankind64

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
honestly, touching my pc's screen for navigation sounds pretty terribe.. i'll constantly be moving from screen to keyboard anyway. why not keep my hand close by with my trusty mouse?

bryce55

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]The LED and Camera tech has been out for awhile. Smartboard is the only company I've seen use it (just off the top of my head). If HP gets the cameras and LEDs as close to the screen surface as possible, this will be really cool. If there is even the slightest gap, the user will need to compensate for where he wants to touch and where it looks like he's touching unless he is directly behind his finger as he touches the spot. Didn't some kid at MIT make a multi-touch version using this tech?[/citation]FYI The camera behind the screen can be calibrated for a constant offset

bryce55

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
This works great for the ipod touch and iphone, but I dont wish to have to cleanse my screen of grease every 10 minutes with a microfiber cloth...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Sorry, no matter what features, I can't imagine paying $300 for a 21.5" monitor...

Is the touch screen tech really worth turning $150 to $300?
For photoshop and the such, a tablet would still be used anyways.

I honestly fail to see were this is any better than a tablet PC (essentially a bigass iPod touch), or a normal tablet (for you photoshop Wacom junkies).
A tablet PC atleast you can hold comfortably, while a screen is right in front of you.

The only possible use I can imagine is product demostration...

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
it could be cool, set it up built into a slightly elevated counter or desk. use it in the kitchen maybe for finding recipes, or in like an work room as a sort of tablet pc.

mustseehdtv

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]tell me again how a touch screen for my pc is useful? all i can think of is tapping on the screen of l4d and watching zombies heads pop but thats it.[/citation]

I know at work when I'm working with a colleague I always have to point to the screen on where to go to do certain things. It would be every useful to move around/close/open things on his screen without handing over the mouse or keyboard.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I can see a number of uses for this, and at $300, that's not too bad of price, considering I paid roughly that much for my normal 21" monitor a couple years ago.

Gaming uses would be somewhat limited - it'd depend on the game itself. For productivity, there's numerous uses.

G

May be useful for HTPC when monitor sizes increase, but if project Natal-type interfaces take off you wont have to touch the screen to get touch-type interactions anyway. For a windows productivity interface I cannot see the utility of this - who honestly sits so close to their monitor they can comfortably reach out and touch it anyway? Using a 24" monitor I reckon i'd need 3" long arms for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.