HP Media Center Photosmart PC ...failed cpu fan..computer ..

Hi,

My friend has a HP Media Center Photosmart PC (M1170N) which he just
bought from Best Buy less than a month ago (and has probably had it on
a total of 3 days). Yesterday he called me and told me that the
computer was saying the CPU fan had failed when he boots it up. He has
some 24/7 "Geek Squad" plan but that doesn't include how long it takes
to get parts (which according to them takes *2 WEEKS* to get a cpu
fan). So sure, its 24/7 but only when they have the part which I
presume they must be ordering from New Guinea and having it shipped via
raft with a reversed sail.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is indeed a legitimate
error and if its happened to anyone else. Just want to make sure
before I order the CPU fan and install it myself. Can't always trust
the bios, ya know..

The bios error was something to the effect of (it went by so fast it
was hard to read):
"cpu fan has failed pc will automatically power down."

Thanks!

On 18 Jan 2005, fotoobscura@gmail.com <fotoobscura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My friend has a HP Media Center Photosmart PC (M1170N) which he just
> bought from Best Buy less than a month ago (and has probably had it on
> a total of 3 days). Yesterday he called me and told me that the
> computer was saying the CPU fan had failed when he boots it up. He has
> some 24/7 "Geek Squad" plan but that doesn't include how long it takes
> to get parts (which according to them takes *2 WEEKS* to get a cpu
> fan). So sure, its 24/7 but only when they have the part which I
> presume they must be ordering from New Guinea and having it shipped via
> raft with a reversed sail.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is indeed a legitimate
> error and if its happened to anyone else. Just want to make sure
> before I order the CPU fan and install it myself. Can't always trust
> the bios, ya know..
>
> The bios error was something to the effect of (it went by so fast it
> was hard to read):
> "cpu fan has failed pc will automatically power down."

Has anyone checked if the cpu fan is visibly not running or if its plug is
not seated properly (or wiring pushing against fan blades)?

Some time ago I bought an out of the box (returned) Compaq PC from Best
Buy for $100.00 (including free year of MSN). One of its cpu fan wires
was broken and just taped together (and drive jumpers and cables were all
mixed up). They had a cpu fan which only cost me $10.00. The old
K6-2/400 was obsolete when I bought it, but still runs Linux fine (its
Win98 drive died).

What options does Best Buy offer for returning a defective computer? If your
friend can do so and get a full refund (including the absurdly ineffective Geek
Squad plan), he should do so. If he cannot return the computer for a full
refund per Best Buy's written policy, he should take the issue up with the store
management, then escalate. Hell, they ought to willingly give him a CPU fan
just to eliminate a nuisance. Of course, maybe the "CPU fan" is actually inside
the power supply? Many power supplies now have fans thermostaticly controlled
by the motherboard. Your friend's experience does not speak well for either
Best Buy or HP. Both lose considerable good will with this sort of customer
treatement. And I think I'll avoid the pitfall of associating my service
business with the "Geek Squad"! Stupid name, anyway... Ben Myers

On 18 Jan 2005 08:56:45 -0800, fotoobscura@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My friend has a HP Media Center Photosmart PC (M1170N) which he just
>bought from Best Buy less than a month ago (and has probably had it on
>a total of 3 days). Yesterday he called me and told me that the
>computer was saying the CPU fan had failed when he boots it up. He has
>some 24/7 "Geek Squad" plan but that doesn't include how long it takes
>to get parts (which according to them takes *2 WEEKS* to get a cpu
>fan). So sure, its 24/7 but only when they have the part which I
>presume they must be ordering from New Guinea and having it shipped via
>raft with a reversed sail.
>
>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is indeed a legitimate
>error and if its happened to anyone else. Just want to make sure
>before I order the CPU fan and install it myself. Can't always trust
>the bios, ya know..
>
>The bios error was something to the effect of (it went by so fast it
>was hard to read):
>"cpu fan has failed pc will automatically power down."
>

>Thanks!

I have an HP m377n and recently updated my BIOS thru the HP website and
subsequently received the same error message. I called HP support and they
quickly solved my problem. Apparently, the media center computers do not
have a CPU fan but the BIOS was somehow directed to check for one. When
you see the error message, quickly press the F2 key and then immediately
press F11. This should get you into the BIOS setup menu. Go to to the
advanced settings menu and disable the check CPU fan setting. This worked
like a charm for me. Don't know if your problem is exactly the same but it
may be worth a try.

I have an HP m377n and recently updated my BIOS thru the HP website and
subsequently received the same error message. I called HP support and they
quickly solved my problem. Apparently, the media center computers do not
have a CPU fan but the BIOS was somehow directed to check for one. When
you see the error message, quickly press the F2 key and then immediately
press F11. This should get you into the BIOS setup menu. Go to to the
advanced settings menu and disable the check CPU fan setting. This worked
like a charm for me. Don't know if your problem is exactly the same but it
may be worth a try.

Try resetting the BIOS back to defaults, then powering down the unit
and starting it back up again. HP's will do this sometimes. Do no
tell it not to detect a fan unless you are absolutely certain that fan
does not exist.

And FYI The Geek Squad only does the service plan work on in-store
repairs. The Service Plan has nothing to do with 24 hour computer
support. The 24 hour computer support is for on-site work. On-site
Geek Squad is never paid for by any warranty or service plan because it
is above and beyond what is covered.

Best Buy also sells an on-site service plan which is not serviced by
the Geek Squad. It is serviced by a 3rd party company.

TRENDING THREADS