HP Memory - Are they on drugs?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I am trying to upgrade the system I got for christmas. For a new system it is really sad, but you get what you pay for.
I came with one stick of RAM, and I am really not sure what it is.
From the order:
512MB DDR-533MHz SDRAM (1x512)
Looking at HP Help?? site:
Single-channel memory architecture
2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 400/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules
Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB
I went to a store and asked for another stick of what the order said. The guy says, no such thing. I ended up buying 1 512m DDR2 667 PC5300. I think that was all he had but he swore it would work. Well I am thinking RAM will always run Slower, if it fits the socket.

IDEAS on any of the above?

OH, yes I am not really dense, but I have never seen the system, I sent it to Texas to live with my daughter's boyfriend and he is dense

The first quote says DDR while the second says DDR2. Not sure if they'll work together. The tech guy you talked to is wrong, there are DDR2 400 and 533, just go to newegg.com. How do I know it exists? b/c both of my Dell's run on it. I know for a fact that if both sticks are DDR2, but one is 400/533 the 667 will just dial back and run at the lower speed. Not sure what the deal is with the mix up between DDR and DDR2 on the HP site.