Question HP Model 3168NGW keyboard acting erratically (troubleshooting help)

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
An HP Model 3168NGW laptop running Windows 10 Pro has a peculiar problem that I am not able to solve so easily:

• The keyboard output is erratic at best. When pressing the numbers at the top of the keyboard, I instead get the alternative. Ex: ! instead of 1. Pressing shift does not fix this.
  • The keys are in all caps. When caps lock is activated, then the keys are in lower case. No change with the numbers
  • The numpad works on and off. This is the only way to output numbers
  • The on screen keyboard does the same thing.
  • A USB wired keyboard does the same thing

What I have tried:
  • Trying to navigate keyboard settings and sticky keys. Nothing seems to provide a fix.
  • Installing a different drive with Windows 10 already on it. Same problem.
  • Dusting out the innards (it was quite dusty).
  • Reseating the keyboard cable. Cleaning the keyboard cable connection with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol

Any insight on solutions? At this point it seems to be a hardware malfunction. Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
  • The keyboard output is erratic at best. When pressing the numbers at the top of the keyboard, I instead get the alternative. Ex: ! instead of 1. Pressing shift does not fix this.
  • The keys are in all caps. When caps lock is activated, then the keys are in lower case. No change with the numbers

Disconnect the laptop's onboard keyboard and run the laptop off an USB driven keyboard, if you're able to disengage the caps, then it's highly possible the SHIFT key is depressed and that has been your problem all along. You will need to replace the keyboard for the laptop, if removing the keycap over both SHIFT keys on the laptop to inspect and remove dirt or debris from the switch didn't sole the issue.

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
Disconnect the laptop's onboard keyboard and run the laptop off an USB driven keyboard, if you're able to disengage the caps, then it's highly possible the SHIFT key is depressed and that has been your problem all along. You will need to replace the keyboard for the laptop, if removing the keycap over both SHIFT keys on the laptop to inspect and remove dirt or debris from the switch didn't sole the issue.

Thanks, I will try that. I did not disconnect the ribbon cable before trying a usb keyboard. I will report back with results. Keyboard is free from dust, debris, and sticky/stuck keys.

Update: I disconnected the ribbon cable and just used the USB keyboard. Caps lock is no longer an issue, but still buggy. All keys seem to output the desired result, but most of the time are only responsive to one stroke at a time. As in, pressing "1" multiple times only outputs "1" instead of "1111." Hitting the windows key opens up start bar search function, but hitting it again does not close it.

Last edited:

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019

Final Update: I unplugged the laptop keyboard from the motherboard, reinstalled Windows 10 with the USB keyboard, and now the system operates fine so long as the USB keyboard is plugged in. All signs lead to faulty laptop keyboard. Solved. Thank you for your prior input.

Jan 25, 2023
An HP Model 3168NGW laptop running Windows 10 Pro has a peculiar problem that I am not able to solve so easily:

What I have tried:
  • Trying to navigate keyboard settings and sticky keys. Nothing seems to provide a fix.
  • Installing a different drive with Windows 10 already on it. Same problem.
  • Dusting out the innards (it was quite dusty).
  • Reseating the keyboard cable. Cleaning the keyboard cable connection with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol
Any insight on solutions? At this point it seems to be a hardware malfunction. Thanks!

Please follow the steps listed below to test the keyboard.

1. In Windows, search for an open HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select "Run as administrator."
NOTE: If your computer doesn't have the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows app, you can get the latest version here.
  1. The app opens to the main menu. Component Testing by Clicking
  2. The menu "Component Tests" appears. Depending on what you have on your computer, the Component Tests menu might look different.
  3. To run the test, click Input Devices, click Keyboard, and then click Run once. The keyboard test time is 3 minutes.

Last edited:

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
Please follow the steps listed below to test the keyboard.

1. In Windows, search for an open HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select "Run as administrator."
NOTE: If your computer doesn't have the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows app, you can get the latest version here.
  1. The app opens to the main menu. Component Testing by Clicking
  2. The menu "Component Tests" appears. Depending on what you have on your computer, the Component Tests menu might look different.
  3. To run the test, click Input Devices, click Keyboard, and then click Run once. The keyboard test time is 3 minutes.

Thanks, I was able to get to a solution a while ago. The keyboard is just faulty, I was able to get a USB keyboard working and the owner of the laptop is fine with that for the time being.