HP Monitor/Graphics Card Help

TimiTheGreatful

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
So I am a couple of weeks from building my new PC and instead of a new monitor I figured I could use my current HP monitor, which is hp w1707, to save money. I was looking at my monitor and noticed that my current pc (hp pavilion elite m9340f) is connected via VGA and the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW 2GB Video Card doesn't have VGA. After doing some research I found out that my monitor has a DVI-D option and my new graphics card has DVI-I. I looked at my current graphics card (MSI nvidia 9500GS) and noticed that my graphics card too has DVI-I. I did research and found out that DVI-D can work on DVI-I. I bought a DVI-D cable and tested it on my current PC. I switched out the VGA cord for the DVI-I and powered on the system and NO SIGNAL. I switched back the VGA cable and it worked. I tried switching back to the DVI-D cable but still NO SIGNAL. I am wondering if the cable I bought was bad. Good thing I tried this with my current PC rather than this to happen on my new PC.

So looked at the motherboard I want to get (ASUS Maximus 7 Hero) and noticed that it has VGA. I am also wondering if I can use the VGA cable on the motherboard instead of the DVI-I on the graphics card.

I don't want to buy a new monitor because that will make me save up another $150 which would take me another month or two to save up. If that's the case, I will have to postpone my PC until then.

I'm a high school student so saving up money can be hard.