Status
Not open for further replies.

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I have an HP ZR2740w monitor that I got about 8 months ago and that I like quite a bit. Recently however, it has been doing a strange thing where the display turns itself off seemingly at random. It does not turn the entire monitor off (I can tell because whenever I turn this monitor off, my PC reconfigures so that my secondary monitor becomes the primary monitor), but instead turns the screen off. I have to hit the power button twice (once to turn it off, again to turn it back on) to get picture to reappear, and if I do it too soon, the picture will only appear for a split-second before turning itself off again.

I've done some google searching on the issue and haven't seen much for a concrete reason as to why it would be happening. Most folks have just used HP's warranty to replace the monitor, but my warranty has run out (I purchased it used, HP's website claims my monitor's warranty ran out back in October). I'd like to try fixing it myself. Are there any ideas as to how I might determine what's wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I was burning a good amount of incense over the last few days, and that it might be dusty inside the monitor. I don't know if this affects things though.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

Unfortunately, no. The display is set to turn off after 2 hours, and when that happens I can still wake it if I move the mouse or press a key. The random power loss is not the same; you cannot change it with any KBM input, and for all intents and purposes, the PC behaves as if nothing is amiss. This is why I'm convinced that something is wrong with the monitor itself.

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

I'm not sure I know how to check for that on this unit. It doesn't have a menu button or similar like other monitors I've owned. I've never seen it do this in the past in spite of many 12-24 hour periods of continuous operation, if that means anything.

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

The user manual unfortunately did not cover such a feature. Haven't yet contacted HP but I'm not entirely convinced they'll be able to help me much.

Incidentally, the time which the monitor can stay on has reduced, and the picture now flickers occasionally.

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I don't have any other devices using DisplayPort technology unfortunately. I do have a second monitor hooked up and it's running fine as always, so I'm confident it's not a video card issue.

As of yesterday the monitor's picture has also started flickering occasionally. It's maybe once every several hours, but it is quite noticeable when it does happen.

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

I've found that it no longer is an issue if I turn the brightness very low on the monitor. This is good to know for the meantime but not ideal for my purposes. I guess I'll talk to HP about it unless someone knows what in particular could cause this issue.

actkk

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

I was suspecting that as well, but now I'm not so sure. I called HP, and they claimed that it was likely an issue with my graphics card. I scoffed at this initially, but now I'm using it with my laptop (Thinkpad T430s with Intel HD graphics) and not yet having issues despite turning brightness up all the way on the display. I've also started looking around and seeing that my graphics card (GTX 970) can cause issues with the displayport connection, which is what I'm using for my monitor. So I dunno, I guess I'll try and see how long I can run this monitor with my laptop and not have it turn off on me. I'm not sure what I'd do if the card was the issue, aside from call up the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

spex66

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Found your thread here.
Yesterday my ZR24w (manufactured July 2011) started to switch off the screen, after ~5min.
Independent of VGA or DisplayPort and connected computer (tested two).

Of course out of warranty.

Just wondered how your problem ended up.
Thx for sharing your feedback!
regards
Peter
(=PA=)

plantman999

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I have the same problem with the HP ZR24w
I thought it was an overheating problem because it started midsummer. I found that if you switch it off at it's switch and wait 5 minutes it cools down and will switch back on again. The longer you leave it to cool down the longer it will last before it cuts out again (screen and power light go)
But I don't know. Any solutions found?

(using an AMD radeon 6750 btw w DVI cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.