HP Mother Board Class Action

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No kidding! Why not include your SSN while your at it!

I am half temped to call that phone number just to see if he is legit.

G

My HP Slimline went out just as the warranty expired. I had two computer stores try to fix it to no avail. I then took it to a very reputable, private computer store, and they found the problem right away. Yep, the motherboard. I had this computer a very short time before it went out. I didn't even use it much. Soo, I've spent over $300. trying to have it fixed. Something I didn't even break. HP would not stand by it's product. Piece of crap. The reputable, private, computer store said they have taken HP off of their list of products they sell because of late, the stuff has been of very poor quality, did not last, and HP did not fix things as they should.

Nancy
Hollister
CA :fou:

My HP Slimline went out just as the warranty expired. I had two computer stores try to fix it to no avail. I then took it to a very reputable, private computer store, and they found the problem right away. Yep, the motherboard. I had this computer a very short time before it went out. I didn't even use it much. Soo, I've spent over $300. trying to have it fixed. Something I didn't even break. HP would not stand by it's product. Piece of crap. The reputable, private, computer store said they have taken HP off of their list of products they sell because of late, the stuff has been of very poor quality, did not last, and HP did not fix things as they should. Nancy
Hollister
CA :fou:

Lay off the crack.

Buchecks

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Please include me in your suit against HP I bought in may of 2007 and have had mother board replace twice already and it went out 13 days after warranty expired again this is 3rd time

G

My name is Wendy Heller. I own all HP PC products from Desktop Pavilon Towers that were custom made for my two business locations, to two laptops both of which are experiencing problems - also monitors both CRTs and flat panels. The tx-2110us Tablet PC was almost fixed when Jody Z. was Executive Case Mgr. for Consumer laptops (she was laid off the friday before Memorial Day) and her successor Brian B. was attempting to complete this repair under warranty and also get my HP2133 Mini-Notebook fixed. The final problem with the tablet remains unresolved. I have spent a month and a half speaking to first Jody, then her succesor Brian B. who lasted a week, then Jeremy and today Faby (an android who repeats the same sentence over and over " I will escalate this to the business sector" as if she cannot piece together an answer to my requests for service before this month's end come and my warranty on the HP2133 is done.) I think that's the game.
On Memorial Day it worked perfectly. The next day wouldn't boot up - screen wasn't even lit up, only light to come on is the power button light and when powered down by that button (screen never lights up, not doing POST, no hard drive light, no wi-fi light, no sound of hard drive spinning nor fans going) there's a quick flash of light on the screen. THAT'S IT!
Spoke to idiot tech Nythia who said it was a dead hard drive (nope, even I know that I would have a black screen with blinking cursor bar and message that no boot drive existed) and asked for serial and part numbers. When I gave them and I was told it came from Canada, wasn't in warranty which had ended 6/2009. Interesting, when that was when I bought it! When I explained the paperwork fiasco (see below) I was basically told, "Tough ***"!
Trying to be a good customer, I followed the advice I knew was wrong and searched HP.COM for the directions for removing & replacing the HDD. When low and behold I found the lengthy, angry, customer forum on this model - everyone had the same experience, some had it a few months in and got a diagnosis of fried motherboard due to insufficient fans - a manf. defect clearly. One guy had to have two replacements of motherboard within 1 yr. warranty. They are stalling me so the month ends and they can say its past warranty date.
My paperwork for this laptop was within a box of all HP paperwork - personal & business - that was sadly thrown out by my vindictive "ex" as the divorce became toxic.
I can't get a phone number for an Exec. Case Manager in the Commercial/Business Branch of HP Laptops, I can't get called back by someone with the power to send a FedEx box and allow me the repair, head qtrs. in Paola Alto, CA is worthless, too. I would like to become part of any class action suit regarding this model and its design defect causing the early death of the motherboard. The techs all know about it, its not a secret, but they are dismantling the case mgrs. positions and I've talked to four now within a month, each gets laid off on a Friday and their case load or promises ignored. HELP!!!!
e-mail me@

My name is Wendy Heller. I own all HP PC products from Desktop Pavilon Towers that were custom made for my two business locations, to two laptops both of which are experiencing problems - also monitors both CRTs and flat panels. The tx-2110us Tablet PC was almost fixed when Jody Z. was Executive Case Mgr. for Consumer laptops (she was laid off the friday before Memorial Day) and her successor Brian B. was attempting to complete this repair under warranty and also get my HP2133 Mini-Notebook fixed. The final problem with the tablet remains unresolved. I have spent a month and a half speaking to first Jody, then her succesor Brian B. who lasted a week, then Jeremy and today Faby (an android who repeats the same sentence over and over " I will escalate this to the business sector" as if she cannot piece together an answer to my requests for service before this month's end come and my warranty on the HP2133 is done.) I think that's the game.
On Memorial Day it worked perfectly. The next day wouldn't boot up - screen wasn't even lit up, only light to come on is the power button light and when powered down by that button (screen never lights up, not doing POST, no hard drive light, no wi-fi light, no sound of hard drive spinning nor fans going) there's a quick flash of light on the screen. THAT'S IT!
Spoke to idiot tech Nythia who said it was a dead hard drive (nope, even I know that I would have a black screen with blinking cursor bar and message that no boot drive existed) and asked for serial and part numbers. When I gave them and I was told it came from Canada, wasn't in warranty which had ended 6/2009. Interesting, when that was when I bought it! When I explained the paperwork fiasco (see below) I was basically told, "Tough ***"!
Trying to be a good customer, I followed the advice I knew was wrong and searched HP.COM for the directions for removing & replacing the HDD. When low and behold I found the lengthy, angry, customer forum on this model - everyone had the same experience, some had it a few months in and got a diagnosis of fried motherboard due to insufficient fans - a manf. defect clearly. One guy had to have two replacements of motherboard within 1 yr. warranty. They are stalling me so the month ends and they can say its past warranty date.
My paperwork for this laptop was within a box of all HP paperwork - personal & business - that was sadly thrown out by my vindictive "ex" as the divorce became toxic.
I can't get a phone number for an Exec. Case Manager in the Commercial/Business Branch of HP Laptops, I can't get called back by someone with the power to send a FedEx box and allow me the repair, head qtrs. in Paola Alto, CA is worthless, too. I would like to become part of any class action suit regarding this model and its design defect causing the early death of the motherboard. The techs all know about it, its not a secret, but they are dismantling the case mgrs. positions and I've talked to four now within a month, each gets laid off on a Friday and their case load or promises ignored. HELP!!!!
e-mail me@

Hi Wendy. Welcome to the HP Mother Board Class Action forum.

cbsraymond

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hello,

I am 100% behind you for a class-action lawsuit against Hewlett Packard for their motherboard issues. About a year and a half ago I bought my wife, an HP Pavilion dv5t-1000 as a Christmas present. The laptop has never been on an airplane, never been dropped and well taken care of. After one year and four months the laptop would no longer boot up. We contacted HP service [the worst service], and we were told that we would be charged for phone service to fix this unit. When I was told it would be $50. I asked, would you actually be able to fix it over the phone and they had every confidence that they could fix it. When they couldn't fix the unit over the phone I want my money back and she said no. So I asked to speak to her supervisor and he tried to sell me some recovery disks. I had a bootable disk and have tried that before I made the phone call so I renew the problem was more serious than they thought so, if it won't boot, what good would recovery disk do. I was sent an e-mail from HP to answer a survey on their last service call. I guess they do read these surveys, because it was basically 100% negative, and we received a full credit from HP.

We then took the laptop to our local computer store to have it evaluated for $35, and we were told that the motherboard was bad. We decided to have it repaired. The cost of the repair would run about $348.82 we told them fix it . They ordered a motherboard it seem like it took forever, and once they got the board and replaced it board ran hot and it would shut off on its own you could reboot in five minutes later it was shut down again. They decided to order a second motherboard and things seem to run okay except they were getting an error message that the CPU was running too hot. Now its been almost 2 months without a computer, and obviously we are quite upset. We wanted our computer back now but the computer store said they would order a new CPU, and because of all the problems that we had it would be free. Once again they had to order the CPU I guess a stock parts. They replaced the CPU, and that did not fix it. At this point in time we wanted our computer back. We lost all confidence in the store. They just were not able to repair this HP laptop. There are supposed to refund all of her money and we are to pick up the laptop July 6. We will be getting back our computer in four pieces 1. We have the original motherboard here at the house 2. The laptop, 3. A bag of hardware and 4 The CPU [old]. We may get her own attorney to collect for the inconvenience, and the fact that we brought them a whole laptop and a return to in four pieces.

Now, we will need to go out and purchase a new laptop, but I can assure you it will not be an HP. . . never again. I hope this helps. Let me know.

Best regards,

Well, the warranty is up and he apparently doesn't understand the fact surrounding an expired warranty. I do agree with He should never buy HP again. Go with one of the other companies that have like 20 year warranties. Like Acer for example. Their 25 year warranty is amazing to say the least.

yeah, it sucks, i mean i would expect a few years out of a laptop, but the warranty is up. Personally i get performance laptops in the $1200-1400 range and they last pretty good (only reason i ditch them is for more performance, i practically gave my old Asus Z96JS to a friend and will be giving it to his brother)

Most of the posters in this thread want to sue and their HP notebook has an expired warranty. Amazing how HP managed to blindfold these people regarding their warranty arrangement and the idea a company would require the devious terms under " I agree..."

My personal attorney would tell me not to bother wasting my time. But, He's rich and practical and doesn't waste years persuing figments of the imagination.

markander33

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Hi Goro, It looks like my dv9700 has the problem being discussed here, and I'm in Atlanta so let me know if you're still available to talk to about fixing it. Thanks, Mark

chiedu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Please could u tell me what steps u took against HP, As I spent a lot of money buying my laptop!
is my email address.

Meanwhile this company has sued HP & won talk to them http://www.classcounsel.com/news/hpzd.html

Chiedu

G

I paid over $2000 for a souped up DV9000. The motherboard fried less than the extended 2-year warranty. They say it isn't one of the models covered. It will cost me $400 to have it fixed. HP says the computer is now obsolete and I should just traid it in and buy a new one from them. (How convenient for them, huh?) Count me in on the lawsuit.

NoMoreUserNames

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I've had catastrophic failures on two HP Pavilion machines, the latest after doing nothing more than running the bios update I'd just downloaded from HP, which fried the motherboard. I am not only an expert computer programmer with high-level XP expertise, I have over 20 years' experience in commercial litigation, supporting renowned expert economists in liability evaluation and calculating damages. I'd be willing to contribute to your effort whatever "free" time I have, in both senses of that word. Similar work would otherwise cost over $200/hr.

NoMoreUserNames

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Since I so strongly prefer a different one, I can't help but expresss and act on distaste for a world that expects me -- instead of hoping and helping to urge them to do otherwise -- to be a compliant victim of the many aggressive, selfish, lazy, negligent and otherwise unaccommodating people with whom I share it, as well as those who so easily shrug off the growing impotence of societal and legal concepts, such as that of the "implied warranty." Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, and Adams, among many other founding fathers, would not be proud.

HP motherboard BIOS updates are especially prone to causing fried motherboards. Especially if it's an Azz Clown doing the updating.

vinuta

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I would like to be part of your class action suit against HP. I am having a mother board problem with my HP pavilion. It has been exactly 2 years since I got it. They want me to pay $400 to repair it. Where do I sign up. My name is vinutha.my email is

[:badge]

G

Bought an HP pavillion dv6227cl in 2007, wifi died in 2008 motherboard in 2010. please add me to class action list. e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.