HP Mother Board Class Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPMotherboardAction

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Organizing HP Motherboard class action lawsuit

I have decided to gather and indication of interest for a class action lawsuit against Hewlett Packard. Please email me your name, address and contact phone number if you would like to join my effort in seeking vindication for the faulty products described by HP in the following post:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&lang=en

I'm not interested in making money from this, rather I just want to see the company stand behind their mistakes and provide me with what I paid $1000 for, a laptop computer that works. Any reasonable person assumes that a new PC has, under normal use, a life expectancy of 3-5 years; not 1-2 years. I am not paying $300 to have a computer fixed that I did not break. Its well documented that they made mistakes in their engineering process. This is the reason that they extended the warranty by an additional year, but what good is that if you weren't notified and given an opportunity to participate. The company has all customers phone and email address. Think about the number of emails you get from their sales department each month.

In closing, this is nothing more than a big corporation making a decision based on dollars and not sense. Situations like this are exactly what the legal system exists for.

HPMotherboardAction@yahoo.com

Best Regards

sushiserv

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
badge: obviously you didnt do any research. the bios update caused the fans on these laptops to run faster, so that the laptop would survive longer enough to out do the warranty. then the fans would wear down and eventually the laptop would break down and HP was very aware of this.

However: there is a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA right now.

http://www.milberg.biz/nvidia.html

I did my research. OP's errant assumption that his efforts have any real merit and need be posted on this Forum asking for witnesses to a lawsuit that does not exist and apparent use of mind altering drugsare what I repied to.

sushiserv

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
True, the posting on this forum was not needed. But you can't stop the fingers at the keyboard :x

Still, I want some of what he is smoking. It seems type good.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
My neighbor just had the NVIDIA GF7600 mobile GPU go bad on her HP DV9000, with this exact symptom: "The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel."

The image using the VGA port has lots of artifacts and ziggy lines, but it works and the computer boots into Safe Mode but crashes when booting normally. There is no output on the LCD panel at all.

She purchased an extended warranty through Best Buy that still had six months left, otherwise she would have been SOL with no warranty. Of course, getting them to repair it is another matter. She just got the thing back after three weeks, and now it doesn't work at all, not even via the VGA port. So she had to send it back again. I told her it would take them two months to get it fixed but I don't think she believed me.

I don't know why anyone would want their three year-old notebook repaired when they can buy a much better notebook for much less than they paid three years ago.

belton50

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
My husband and i got 2 of these laptops and were told that we missed the cut off date to have them repaired by 2 days..They never sent out a notice by mail ..They did it over the internet..We told them if we had a laptop that worked we would have been able to get on the internet..Please count us in on your class action lawsuit..

canaris61

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I bought an HP Slimline desktop the motherboard died 2 days before the warranty expired they replaced the board and this board went out 9 months later. I called and asked if there was a design flaw or problem with these boards and they said they had no knowledge of any problem and there was nothing they could do.THe board is an Asus M2NC51-AR Motherboard

I bought a $2400 laptop from the HP website. An hour after turning the unit on my wife stuck her fingernail under the volume button and pulled instead of pushing and the button popped out of the case. Unable to install the button back into the case without breaking open the case, I called HP and explained I needed to send the unit in to be repaired. The HP service rep. told me it would cost $250 to repair it even though I had received it an hour ago. I could have sent it back and had my money refunded to my credit card right there on the spot. Instead I called a lawyer and sued. This guy had HP on their knees. Needless to say, I made the right decision by hiring this lawyer.

Give him a call, you will be glad you did.

nayasamson

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Please add my name to the class action. Email me for my personal info. . I have a DV2000 that has the bad nvidia gpu and my "enhanced" warranty expired in August 2009. Corporate will not budge. I have been on HPLies.com and am asking that everybody call HP Corporate as well as email them all at the same time between today and tomorrow and everyday thereafter until they notice and do something about the issue.

HP Corporate: 1-800-756-0608 Option #7

nayasamson

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

Thanks badge. Your the man.

No problem.

bodybuilderbiker30724.jpg

ESQhere

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Do any of you guys leaving smart ass replies and complaining about people voicing opinions here have any clue of exactly what has happened with HP laptops over the past few years? HP has already admitted faulty design with their DV series by implementing a recall. In addition to the DV series, there are thousands upon thousands of failures with their TX series and Compaq models involving the same overheating problem. It's a documented design flaw that HP decided to continue to sell even after knowing of the issue. That is fact, not someone's opinion. So yes, their is merit in a class action suit against HP.

G

Hey HPMotherboardAction@yahoo.com, do you have any update regarding the suit? I too have a dead MB S3100N.

Hey Badge, why don't you help us out by clicking on some of the ads?

alfsmith

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I've been having problems with wireless from the start, flashed the BIOS which seemed to improve it but not solve it, now my computer just loops without activating the screen or loading Windows. The local computer repair store says 100% of the DV2000, DV6000, and DV9000 laptops that came in needed the mother replaced. I am now looking at missing my radio broadcast start date (on the first day of the Vancouver Olympics) for my new business, not to mention the massive personal mess not having my laptop is incurring. I AM FURIOUS after talking with HP (and also seeing that they KNEW about this problem, and that I received NO contact even though I registered my computer! So I find out about it NOW that there was an extended warranty??) WTF. Now they want $300 to fix a problem they KNEW about when they sold the computer?? No way. If I ran my business like that I'd be outta business and more.

Is there a result of the nVidia lawsuit yet? You do realize that NONE of the HP customers affected by that will see any of that $$$$.

If there is a class action lawsuit against HP, I would love to join.

Sugarland

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I am totally agree with your action. We need to do something to protect the customer right. Why I have to pay $700.00 for a laptop which is not working even 2 years. And all of the technicians I saw, told me that because of the mother board. They didn't even touch it and they all knew the problem. It is not our fault, it is hp produces the faulty machines Hope to hear from you soon!

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Here is a reason to believe in god, heavan and hell. There is a special place in hell where engineers will spend all of eternity repairing the products they designed.

The laptops that need to be completely disassembled to clean or replace their cooling system. The cars that need the exhaust manifold removed to change the oil. Etc.

I had a fan/heatsink replaced on an HP laptop whose Nvidia GPU is causing the system to crash. Had to replace a fan on a Toshiba Satellite as well.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Ok, the problem with those Laptops is the Nvidia chip over-heating and losing contact with the board. Trust me I had to repair my wifes after spending two hours with HP customer-not-support. I was kindly informed that the extended warranty has expired and the repair would cost me almost $300. Hers is the DV9000 but it happens to the DV6000 and many other models including Compaq.

The problem is the cooling unit (NOT ENOUGH COOPER) they use the same cooper pipe for the CPU and GPU. The GPU does not have cooper contact with heat sink but ruther a little piece of thermal pad that touches the heat sink.

HP is aware of this problem that is why they have done the Bios update and your laptop will sound like a helicopter.

AND NO THE MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED THERE IS A WAY TO FIX IT.

If you are in the Atlanta area you can contact me we do repair those laptops and fix the cooling issue at almost 1/3 of the price of HP.

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
More over it's a total design fail on those laptops.

The laptops that got fixed by HP received a new motherboard with a different heatsink.

ddickert

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

My g/f has a dv9700 and after the wirless went bad,I went usb wirless. then after several times of restoring from hard drive, dv9700 is dead to piont of reboot loop and black screen-gee is hp awair of the melting temp of solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.