HP Mother Board Class Action

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scouty75

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Goro....

How long have your repairs lasted. I had a new chip and reflow done twice at a shop in Dallas. Repairs do not last.

dondad

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I too am having the same iussues with my pavilion dv6227cl and I just spoke with a HP rep. 3/4/10 He informed me that for $259 they would put in another mother board, I told him "why would I do such a stupid thing" when hP knows it was a defective laptop, from the very beginning. Now I am using my reliable dell desktop, which I am so happy to have to write this response? I read someone Else's response and they said that it will be less expensive for HP to be sued than to repair all these defective laptops! I don't expect to get a new laptop, but if HP has to pay a group of attorneys to fight a class action lawsuit, then their stock holders will start bailing on HP stock, which in turn might help HP to go backrupt, we could only hope :)

I would be happy to join any type of suit against HP, as I now have to go buy a new laptop, which will be any other brand, but HP?

mlbowe

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Add my name to the list. bowe05@msn.com. I am having the same problem that the HP tech reported to me was the existing problem but my computer is out of warranty and they want me to pay $259 to have it repaired.

G

Add my name to the list too. My email is A. I bought my computer in November 2008 and only booted it up less than 50 times. I did not drop my computer so my motherboard should not have gone out.

svin46

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I bought an HP dv9700 16 months ago. It died at 14 months. The idiot that said it was a Bios problem is wrong. Check out all the complaints on the HP blogs. Community Mailer [HP_TOTAL_CARE2@hp.com. What happens is the system overheats and burns out the graphics card. The card is integrated into the mother board, so you have to pay 400.00 to replace the whole board and then it breaks down in a year again. The whole screen goes black. There is no way to fix it. The computer repair stores will use the computer for parts, and you can get about 250.00 for it. Don't by an HP laptop, they just don't last. Scott

DevEnemy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Pavilion 2810US

The screen went black,after 1.5 years...HP wants 398.00 for motherboard replacement

Please contact me...

dondad

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I read another guy that file a suit in small claims court and won? I am thinking that might be a better way to go than a class action law suit, as we know only the attorneys get paid in full! I encourage everyone with a dv6000 or anyone with this mother board problem, to file a small claims case in you city!

I know I will not and should not get a full refund for my now dead dv6227cl, but I would like to buy another laptop and another brand for sure, but money is tight and I will just have to use this old dell desktop, till I get something from HP.

There has been a new story about a bunch of Chineses...upset about these same problems with HP. But I am sure HP will just sweep it under the rug, unless someone can make national news story about HP and their scamming consumers, other wise I am just going to try and recover 3/4 persent of what I paid?

good Luck and if anyone has a good idea about how to make a USA national news story about all these defective laptops against HP, it might get them to admit fault and the law suits would abound? Maybe a good sob story about no $$$ and cannot email my loved one in the service or something???

Don

livefreeordye

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I too would like to join in any action against HP. Keep me posted @ livefreeordye@live.com.
The 8400M GS graphics cards on my HP dv2600t failed after 2 years. The case manager assigned to me kept harping that the system was out of warranty. HP did not have the decency to email their customers about the problem, or to replace the GPU's vis a recall. Shame on them!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/nvidia.html

RD

david219

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Not sure if it's the same motherboard issue or not. I have an HP Slimline s3020n that's headed back to the shop again for another video/motherboard problem. First time it happened in Oct 09 and, now, in March 10. Same symptoms as before--no video, only this time I can hear the system booting to Windows unlike last time--no boot, blank screen. Losing patience with HP (or I should say my mother-in-law is--and I recommended HP to her.)

David

Call and make an appointemt to speak to HP management. Have written detail ready if asked. Even the little detal you have and cover up any obvious evidence of being a habitual sore loser with an abundance of end user incompotence who has no idea what they are talking about concerning computers. Get the last name of the quality control guy over there and post it here. He has been in hiding since F. Lee Bailey took the case. He's a middle aged guy about six foot tall with curley hair.

clashofthetitansclassic.jpg

beansinaz

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
If your new car's motor failed 1/4 of the way thru the life expectancy, wouldn't you be alittle upset. To class action sue it to bring about a resolution to a defect. You have recalls on cars, strollers etc to fix a problem. I don't want to sue for money, just repairs.

You have the right to remain silent, but obviously don't have the ability.

well, what is HP's standard warranty, 1 year, and i bet that is what most people have with it (because the longer warranties are expensive), so that means that HP is saying they cover the computer for 1 year, ie in most situations it should last that long, but there is no indication of how much longer it should last

so all in all, get over it and buy a better brand next time, lesson learned (its why i build desktops and will buy performance laptops from a good brand)

EDIT: to all who blame HP, if you would have read a little about technology, you would have known this was a problem

This just in.

For the many of you wanting to sue HP, but do not even own one of the systems in question including beansinaz, gracie99 and david219. Give MSI a try. Here's a rare glimpse into the kind of stringent system fan testing put into one their budget machines.

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/b6-HyT9gZXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

Note: This may be of interest too if you are wondering what caused the 7.2 Baja quake.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/chopra-blames-own-meditation-for-baja-quake/19426755?icid=main%7Cwelcome%7Cdl2%7Clink5%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fchopra-blames-own-meditation-for-baja-quake%2F19426755

ty10002

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I had the same problem and my laptop (dv6000) is dead. I called HP today (5/13/2010) and they said that you were out of the 2 years extended warranty and asked me for paid for 250+ to fix it. I told them that my laptop had the issue 6 months ago and they fixed it for me for free. and it broke again after 6 months.. it was a completely design issue. I agreed with most of the people here, and we are not asking for refund or $$$. Just to find a permanent solution to this issue and repair our laptops.. I WOULD NOT pay the $250 dollars to replace the MB just for 6 months..

G

Add my name to the list too.
DV9000 bought it in 2007, out of warranty in October 2009

Add my name to the list too. My email is . I bought my computer in November 2008 and only booted it up less than 50 times. I did not drop my computer so my motherboard should not have gone out.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
listen guys you are wasting your time, the deal was hp sells you a laptop with 1 year peace of mind if it breaks after 1 year its not my problem and you agreed to that and bought it the deal wasnt more than 1 year warranty.

2) why more ppl have this problem? coze more ppl buy hp
also consider this, its not hp, its not nvidia and its not any corporations fault the fault is of the EU regulations and no one elses, actualy the tree hugers "enviroment people" because in 2007 regulations obliged manufacturers to use "lead free solder" rather than "lead solder" and lead free melts easly, and after 1 year the dust builds and blocks the air vents and it causes the laptop to overheat and the solder to melt and then you get that 3 beep erros, or black screen.

it is also foxconn's fault for designing poor cooling system, so in the end your wasting your time if you want to hold a law suite hold it against EU not hp first understand what happens then sue.

and further, an insider who works for hp tech team told me even during warranty we were not replacing motherboards as we say we were only doing a reflow fix "heating the chip" which is known for short term repair "3 months maximum" before it occurs again but we had to say we replaced your motherboard so you'll think it will last longer but sometimes we end up doing this 3 to 5 times to each customer until their warranty ends.

and even more, this is a natural cause "dust" because their excuse is there is no other technology yet avaible that is dust free to cool your laptops to prevent this problem.

in the end I hope you do come up with something but here are 3 potential solutions
1)All manufacturers need to use high quality lead free solder which melts at 180c such as Pb65Sn35 or Pb60Sn40 but the best and cheaper type is Sn63Pb37

2) provide a dust removal, and thermal paste service before the warranty ends for free by manufacturer or supplier or a voucher to take to any repair shop.

3) add a dedicated fan to the graphic processing unit if its memory is more than 128mb.

I hope this helps you during your law suite.
My own words, Lotfi Bouakaz

sunraiser

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hi my name is Timothy Klug,I was looking for some help with my laptop.It is over heating and the screen went black.
The same thing every body is heaving with the DV9000.I try ed to reach HP with this matter the same thing,
its not under warranty.that's not right I paid good money for this,.About 1,400.00 Dollars.I only had this laptop for
about Three years.I thought HP.was better than that.I have Three other Hp computers,and i am thinking about getting rid of them.
I just bought a HP touch screen and thinking of getting rid of it,.If Hp dose not do anything about this problem they will lose me and others like us.

sunraiser

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hi my name is Timothy Klug,I was looking for some help with my laptop.It is over heating and the screen went black.
The same thing every body is heaving with the DV9000.I try ed to reach HP with this matter the same thing,
its not under warranty.that's not right I paid good money for this,.About 1,400.00 Dollars.I only had this laptop for
about Three years.I thought HP.was better than that.I have Three other Hp computers,and i am thinking about getting rid of them.
I just bought a HP touch screen and thinking of getting rid of it,.If Hp dose not do anything about this problem they will lose me and others like us.

EDIT: Please don't post personal information here in the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.