HP Mother Board Class Action

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justamac

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I HAVE TWO HP PAVILION 9000 AND ONE OF THEM RESTARTS ON ITS OWN CONSTANTLY THE OTHER HAS LOST IT'S VIDEO (NO MONITOR)
I would love to join you law suit against HP.
Ron McBride

Murano

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
badge, while your responses are a bit repetitive so are most of these postings so it's all good.
I too have a dv9700 sitting at a repair facility being diagnosed. I got almost 2 full years of use out of my piece of crap $750 machine before it died so what seems to be the problem??

Yes, when I bought it I could have added an extra couple of years to the warranty for about $150 but I declined thinking that from a percentage standpoint spending an extra $150 on a $750 computer just doesn't make sense.

Bottom line: Don't sue HP. They gave you a year warranty and you all seem to have had at least a year of relatively good performance.
BUT: If you are a slime ball and want to try to get something for nothing, you can go back to where you purchased your computer and do two things. First determine if they offer extended warranty at all. Second get them to show you the waiver you signed to decline the warranty. If they did not have you sign the waiver, then it's possible that you were never even offered an extended warranty when you should have been given the opportunity. I tell you it works in the car industry so it should work in this case too.
No waiver = no extended warranty offered = liability on the store selling you your computer.
:sol:

bill224

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I totally agree with you. we have over 30 years computer experiences. the broken one Compaq Presario F700 we bought 2 years 4 months ago. we didn't damage the one at all. we have HP L2000 over 6 years and still working now.

after I disassemble/assemble Compaq Presario F700 I suspect we got 2nd hand motherboard in stead of original. I found 4 or 5 places mark as "replaced", and one a 2-thin-wires(black, red) link between top cover and bottom (motherboard is on bottom) which seems can't disconnect and it didn't mention in anywhere.
I also couldn't remove two screws securing the wireless card.
plus I didn't see any thermal grease or thermal compound(silver stuff) sourand fan there.
we bought it from Micro Center. we never receive any re-call from HP, and they did have our informations when I called them about the broken one they searched our records and told me it was 1-year warantee and already exipred in April, 2009.

My only question is if we join with you, do we need to pay for whatever it cost ?

G

I would definitely support this for the two following reasons:

1. About a month and half ago I called HP and requested a set of recovery disk because after creating a set of sytem disk and doing my own recovery, the system just kept looping in recovery mode. This troubleshooting occured after I had already tried replacing the hard drive because the system gave me a message that my disk needed to be replaced. After replacing the disk with a 500 G SATA Drive, I still got the same message. The new disk needed to be replaced. HP did issue the recovery disk at a cost of $45.00. After trying another recovery with the companies new disk, I continued having the sam problem.

2. The second time when I called back the person said that they could sign me up for technical support and $90.00. I shelled out the $90.00 and the only support that I recieved was the details of my experience which were logged in the system as if they had given me technical support. I complained and they assigned a Case Manager, who helped me get out of the recovery loop which again occured with the new HP recovery disk. I thought I was finally set up when the system aging went down with the same message replace hard drive. I, again, called HP and this time when I explained the prolbem the guy immediatelly said if this has happened to two drive already, I believe it is your motherboard. He offered to repair it for $390 . This is when I had it with HP and resorted to fixing it myself. Mine you I purchase this computer in Feb of 08.

What is interesting is that I arrive at your system looking for this HP system board and I see this post. Well you are preaching to the quire, I am definitely down for a class action. I have had my share of laptops and they of all lasted well over three years. Not only are they selling faulty parts, but they also seem to have a tech scam going on.

Robcsw

Important notice to the seeing unimpaired. Do not look!

6a00d83451587d69e201348.jpg

This concludes today's fashion update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS