HP: No, No, We ARE in the Smartphone Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Good... It should get interesting. With Apple, Google, HP, and Microsoft all competing with each other, the mobile market's going to see a lot of fast improvement.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
My carrier is AT&T. I was with Verizon before that. The only reason why I switch was to get an iPhone, but once I saw the outrageous prices on the phones and data packages and the batter life of the iPhone, I decided it wasn't for me. Now I have a Nokia E63 that I paid $160 for and it's unlocked. I can get the family data feature for only $10 a month. I tried doing it for a branded Moto Backflip, but got hit with the $30 plan right away. Hopefully, HP will release something nice and inexpensive that is unlocked for GSM networks so I can continue to pay $10 a month for data.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The way they're going, HP should call their products DumbPhones, in honor of their CEO.

That a CEO is that stupid, and has so little support in terms of advisors is hard to understand. How could this clown not know the reaction he would get, and then be surprised enough about it that he had to completely reverse himself? Why didn't his advisors, who surely he consults with, tell him what to expect?

Stuff like this is hard to understand. It shows not only a lack of intelligence, but a lack of preparation. There's nothing surprising about the reaction of people. Why was he caught flat-footed?

G

they just realized that they only need shrink a slate running webOS down call it a slateXS and viola smartphone

G

Good lord !
Symbian, webOS, iPhoneOS, RIM, Windows Mobile and many others...
I just want ONE Mobile OS that works...
And not many of them that complete each others functions (I'm talking about apps area)....

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
What really happened after Mark Hurd said they didn't buy Palm to get into the SmartPhone business:

Some big investors (who have lots of shares in HP) were unhappy about the statement and got Mr. Hurd to reverse his decision and make this last statement saying that HP is getting into the SmartPhone business afterall.

Got to love big business, hehehe.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
HP reminds me of Chief Wiggum from The Simpsons: "Okay Ralphie, now if your nose starts bleeding, it means you're picking it too much.... or not enough."

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]MobileJoe[/nom]Good lord !Symbian, webOS, iPhoneOS, RIM, Windows Mobile and many others...I just want ONE Mobile OS that works...And not many of them that complete each others functions (I'm talking about apps area)....[/citation]
Currently they're not enough mobile operating systems available. There needs to be a mobile OS available from every software company on the planet, big or small. It's not possible to create a one size fits all OS for any general purpose computer being sold to the public.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
06/04 – HP: No, No, We ARE in the Smartphone...
06/03 – HP: We Didn't Buy Palm to be in the...
05/25 – HP Tablet Running Palm's WebOS...

Recent articles on THW. Note the article written on the 25th...
If you were a CEO of a company poised to release a new tablet running an OS designed by a company you just acquired, wouldn't you want to steer the public's attention toward it?

From that perspective, it would seem a bit surprising that consumers pitched a fit.

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]My carrier is AT&T. I was with Verizon before that. The only reason why I switch was to get an iPhone, but once I saw the outrageous prices on the phones and data packages and the batter life of the iPhone, I decided it wasn't for me. Now I have a Nokia E63 that I paid $160 for and it's unlocked. I can get the family data feature for only $10 a month. I tried doing it for a branded Moto Backflip, but got hit with the $30 plan right away. Hopefully, HP will release something nice and inexpensive that is unlocked for GSM networks so I can continue to pay $10 a month for data.[/citation]

That's cool and interesting and all but no one cares. You used 'my' and 'I' over 10 times

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
So what about all the Palm phones on the market now? Doesn't HP now own Palm? I still see all the commercials for the Pre. If I were on the market for a smartphone, why would I choose a Palm phone if HP can't decide if they are in the smartphone busineess or not...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]MobileJoe[/nom]Good lord !Symbian, webOS, iPhoneOS, RIM, Windows Mobile and many others...I just want ONE Mobile OS that works...And not many of them that complete each others functions (I'm talking about apps area)....[/citation]
One OS to rule them all.
One company to over price you!

Rather have the competition and options then just one OS.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
HP, with their LONG history of abandoning consumer electronics products, will be the first of these (MS,Apple,Google,HP) to exit the market and leave consumers with orphaned products. History repeats itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.