HP notebook display backlight failure - can I replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rduggan3

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
My HP Pavilion notebook dv2000 has had its display go out numerous times. The problem was serviced while under factory warranty. Now I am in the last several months of the Office Depot warranty. Given the number of times this problem has reoccurred, I have my doubts whether it will ever be fixed.
Question1: Is this problem indicative of a defective backlight? or of something more significant such as inadequate cooling of the notebook?
Question2: How easily could I replace a part on my own?
I have upgrade a hard drive in a Sony VIAO, so am not afraid to make repairs on my own with some care and patience.
Would appreciate some words of wisdom.
Thanks
Robin

The backlight failing is certainly a backlight problem, but it can be caused by the inverter board, too. Both are relatively easy to replace, and not too time-consuming. Cooling doesn't really have a whole lot to do with it - the parts that are breaking are in your monitor, and don't really get that hot.

rduggan3

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Thank you for the reply. For now, I will go ahead and take advantage of the extended warranty while it lasts. If the product is never replaced under the Office Depot plan, but goes out later, I may very well see about parts on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.