Question HP NX9010 No Image. Just using Trial and Error

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
--So, yeah. I know, it's old laptop but i enjoy working on them.
Ok, so the manual over at HP http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219 says that i can upgrade the RAM up to 1 GB which i did using 333 MHZ , it does not say anything about MHZ as long as it's DDR so i hope that's not the issue.

--I cleaned the CPU which was disgusting, it came with an aluminum pad which i peeled off and the paste was literally black so i cleaned. I noticed the each of the four corners on the CPU were a bit damaged as if the Heat Sink was pressing against it for too long? No pun intended. It actually had slight dents on the corners and tiny superficial cracks. Could this be the issue. I'm waiting on new slightly better processors to be shipped.

--I installed a brand new IDE SSD but i don't think this has anything to do with a blank screen at this point. I still need to get an image so i can do WinXP install.

--I tried using FN+F5 to switch monitor as recommended in the manual but it isn't working since i can't even see the commands.

--Besides this i cleaned the inside of the laptop carefully and didn't notice anything damaged.

--Should i get to the display and check for anything or just wait for the RAM and CPU to get delivered? Yes, it gets power.

Last edited:

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
any ati / amd chipset / gpu? Might be issue if you dont get anything on external monitor via vga port
Hi, lga1156_ftw. Thanks for the reply. This is what the manual shows under video.

ATI Mobility Radeon graphics accelerator with 16, 32, or 64 MB UMA graphics memory, 4x AGP graphics capability . I'm assuming that might be a potential problem by the look of things?
I'm taking appart the display now to narrow then potential problems but whatver the problem might end up being i hope is something i can fix.