Question HP OEM 240w Powering an i7 4790 + 1050 Ti .. Risky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
I know this is abit of a gray area and the opinions are divided on this.

One of my HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF with a 240 w PSU powering a i7 4790 + 1050 Ti LP / 16 G ram and SSD

What is your experience with HP OEM PSU's. I'm not nessecarely worried about the wattage, i have a watt meter that i will use on a full stress test in a few days. I don't expect to surpass 200 watts realisticly but i do need to take into concideration the power spikes.
I am however worried about the quality of the PSU and their ability to put out a consistent 240 watts.

Thoughts or experience with these elitedesk budget builds?

If you expect a 200W load consistently then you're running way too close to the edge, especially with a PSU with some miles on it. Those OEM PSU's are specced for the "as shipped" configuration and don't have much in the way of reserve capacity.

Reactions: Order 66

1050 Ti LP​

TDP75 W Suggested PSU250 W

Your 10 watts under. It's a crap shot. Will it work yes . Will it have issues some can and some just keep going no issues.

Best suggestion is when you can, think about a better stable power supply. There pre-build's were made to fit a niche market AKA powerful Office computer.

Hp & Dell also knew to make it under powered to use as a gaming PC with a extremally under powered power supply.

Just don't go running benchmark software that stresses parts that will also stress power supply.

Don't set games to ultra or high it taxes Power supply harder.

Keep it stress free simple taxing on that power supply.

Reactions: Order 66

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Some PSU reviewers run overload tests at 110% of quoted max power and high quality units survive completely unscathed plus they continue to work at their full 40C or 50C ambient rating.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, garbage $20 PSUs stop working, catch fire or explode when the load applied exceeds 50% of quoted max power.

I doubt HP PSUs fall into this latter category and there are no hard and fast rules which say subjecting your PSU to a 240W load will be OK, but 241W+ will instantly burn down your house.

I agree overloading a computer PSU is never a good idea, but people regularly press their vehicle accelerators to the floor without worrying about the consequences.

I've designed, built and tested PSUs for Industrial and MIL SPEC systems and heavily de-rated them for use at 55C ambient and 70C in cabinet. Your PSU will probably never be operated above 45C and may survive, but it's not a good idea to push it that hard.

If possible, put the Elitedesk to one side and consider a more suitable system which doesn't stress the PSU so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.