Question HP Officejet 7510 showing 'Door Open' message

Martin Harding

Honorable
May 17, 2015
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my HP OfficeJet 7510 - upon powering up, there is a persistent 'Door Open' message on the display screen that I cannot clear. I have checked that all the access doors on the printer are securely closed (the front panel for access to change the cartridges, the top panel for access to the printhead itself, and the rear access door), and tried to clear the message by reopening and closing all these doors multiple times, to no avail. A reset of the printer has also proven fruitless, although given the process of this reset it isn't easy to tell if it's worked or not.

I'm at my wits' end, and I would be very grateful if anyone out there could give me some advice as to what the issue might be, and how to go about rectifying it.

My thanks in advance,

Martin

See if you can locate the switches for the doors. Make sure their mounts aren't broken or whatever depresses them when closed. Unfortunately most printers are not designed to come apart and are quite difficult to do so.

If you can't locate the switches. Printers aren't really worth repairing. Using a professional that is. If you do end up buying another printer. Don't get an HP. Their quality has really gone downhill since you bought your printer. I've had customers with far too many dead HP that are only one or two years old. Brother seems to hold up.

Martin Harding

Honorable
May 17, 2015
See if you can locate the switches for the doors. Make sure their mounts aren't broken or whatever depresses them when closed. Unfortunately most printers are not designed to come apart and are quite difficult to do so.

If you can't locate the switches. Printers aren't really worth repairing. Using a professional that is. If you do end up buying another printer. Don't get an HP. Their quality has really gone downhill since you bought your printer. I've had customers with far too many dead HP that are only one or two years old. Brother seems to hold up.
Could you point me in the direction of anything that might help me find where the switches are? There is a spring loaded catch to the right of the cartridge door, but as far as I can tell it's only a retaining lug to hold the door in place - View: https://imgur.com/OQZMnEu

Martin Harding

Honorable
May 17, 2015
It could be some prong that sticks out and depresses a switch like in the following link.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01142738
There is a prong on the cartridge door that lines up with that hole - there is a little hinged piece inside it:
View: https://imgur.com/c4YplRU

When depressed with a small screwdriver, this piece hinges back into the recess, and a small piece comes into view at the side of the cartridge access port, near to where the printhead is stowed when the printer is offline. My assumption, given the layout and what you've stated, is that it is somehow related to the door switch. There is no response when the printer is on to this piece being manipulated, meaning that either my assumption is wrong or there is something wrong with that part.