Hp officejet 8600 all in one wireless printer wont connect to my laptop

multiple1223

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hello,
I have an all in one hp officejet 8600 plus and i cant get it to connect to my laptop. Operating system is windows 7. It's connected to the network, laptop connected to network, but printer isn't connecting to laptop. This function is handy so i can sent scans to an email or folder on my computer but it wont connect. I keep getting an error, unable to connect with printer over network. I've been on the phone with hp for 7 hours so far in 2 days and they still don't have an answer!!! I called dell and they said its a software issue and need to pay $90 for them to fix it, Told them no way. Can someone please help

RealBeast

Titan
Did you enter the wireless network security key?

Also you have to install network print drivers on your computers that will use the 8600, and you can get the latest here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=4323648&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4323648&tmp_track_link=ot_search

You may also want to try the HP wireless print and scan doctor if you haven't yet: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/printer_diag/&lang=en&softwareitem=mp-104282-2

atandon

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Did you get this to work? I am facing the same issue. My HP 8600 Pro Plus was able to scan to a network folder and then suddenly stopped working a week ago. I spent hours with HP but they could not solve.

Chrisvv

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

I had that exact same problem with the HP 8600 series. After scouring the internet for solutions and not finding any, I managed to figure out what the problem was by myself.

HP usually has a hidden service menu that their employees can access to make technical adjustments to certain printers. It is in this menu that one can usually adjust the hardware default sleep setting which causes the printer to "lose" it's wireless signal. Logically speaking it should wake up if the computer in question tries to communicate with it, but for some strange reason it doesn't.

The problem with the HP 8600 is that the sleep setting has been entirely removed from the menu, and the only alternative is setting the "ECO" setting on the printer, which only gives you 3 measly options; 5,10,15 minutes, none of the ofcourse allow you to turn off the sleep function.

The only workaround that has so far worked 100% of the time is creating a script that runs in the background of your computer. This script "pings" the printer, forcing it to stay awake and never go to sleep.

pard3734

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I just bought the HP8600 and could not get it to connect either---I also have Windows 7. After quite a few hours delay, I decided I was going to remove the previous printers I had installed and I shut off the new printer and then turned it back on and then reran my disk. Make sure on the print page that you have it set to print to your 8600 printer. Mine was not so I had to go in under "change" and change it to the correct and now only printer. My printer is now working.
Don't know if this will work for you but being these types of problems are so annoying, I just thought I would share with you. Best of Luck!

Roselvr

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

We're having the same issue; printer is directly connected to the network router; Windows 7 Premium 64bit controls hub; what is weird is that my Mac can always print; yet the Win 7 can't. It keeps losing the connection if we do not regularly use the printer. Next test will be hooking it directly to my Vista machine to see if that stops it.
My opinion is it's a Windows 7 issue

EDIT - it originally was hooked to a Vista puter with no issues; totally forgot about that. Issues started when we replaced that Vista puter with Windows 7 Premium 64!

justpassingthru

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I also had the same problem and found a very simple fix. You need to do a hard reset of the printer. Get the 8600 running and connected. Then, without turning off the power on the printer, unplug the power cord. Wait 5 minutes. Plug in the printer again and ou should never lose the connection again.

jb5580

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014

I just spent almost 4 hours uninstalling, re-installing, resetting printer, computer, and router various times. I was at my wits end and about to head out to buy a new machine. I tried this thinking I had nothing to lose at this point, and it worked. THIS solution fixed my problem. WOW. Thank you justpassingthru!

gacpakhik

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Same issue, out of the blue, I'll get the Scan to computer disabled error at the bottom of my screen and then it stops printing again. I spent hours on the phone with Geek Squad, Dell and HP. HP reloading the drivers and a bunch of other stuff and promised it was fixed. Started happening again the next time I turned my laptop back on.

Deep South

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I had the same problem, I think it's related to the ECO setting which can't be turned off from the user menu. I worked out how to stop the printer going to sleep (i.e. turn off ECO mode). There are 2 hidden menus, one for technicians and one for factory setup. The second one is the one you need, accessed by pressing return arrow once, the home symbol twice and the return arrow once again. Scroll across to "Timeout" and set it to 0 seconds. Exit by pressing the red X, and voila, job done. All donations gratefully received :)

michuno

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

How do i get that hidden menu in a 8600 (not the plus model)?

Thanks in advance.

Deep South

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

My printer is not the plus model either so the procedure should be the same. Press the "return" arrow once, then the "Home" icon twice and the return arrow once again. I'll go through the procedure again and post a detailed step-by-step with photos later. This irritation seems to be widespread and I've never found a solution online.

OK Here I am again. I can't attach a photo so I'll describe what I did. To get to the menu required, you need the return arrow (looks like a U on its side to the left of the display) and the Home icon which looks like a little house also to the left of the display. The icons don't need to be illuminated when you press them.
Switch the printer off, wait 10 seconds or so and switch it back on.
After it finishes booting up press Return once, press the Home icon twice, then press Return again once.
You will get a menu called Engineering Menu, below that is a list of options, select "Underware Menu" (tap it). You will see sub-menus, select System Menu. Then, scroll (right arrow) until you see System Mode Timeout, select this by tapping it and you will see the number of seconds which correspond to the sleep time selected from the normal user menu. Change the value to zero (it's a bit tricky because the values change rapidly when you press the arrows), then exit by pressing the red "X" until you get back to the normal user interface. If you tap the ECO icon you will see "Sleep Mode: off" I did all this 24 hours ago and the printer has stayed awake and connected to everything both ethernet and wireless. HTH everybody.

michuno

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
That sequence didn't work in this 8600. Maybe different firmware... The sequence that worked was what was commented by IslipHP here

Set the sleep mode to 5 minutes - saves a lot of keying later!
Press the ‘Copy’ symbol
Locate the 'Home' and 'Back/Return' symbols
Press ‘Home’, ‘Home’, ‘Back/Return’, ‘Home’, ‘Home’ - be careful as after the first press of the 'Home' symbol, the symbol lights go out!
If correctly selected you will get the 'Engineering Menu'
Select 'Underware Menu'
Use 'left' arrow and select 'System Menu' and 'OK' - using the 'left' arrow is quicker as the option is nearer the left than right.
Use 'left' arrow and select' System Mode Timeout' and 'OK'
Reset to 0 seconds using the 'Down' arrow - need to press repeatedly, hence start with the least time to begin with!
Once set at '0', use the red 'X' to work back out of the 'Engineering Menu' until the 'normal' screen appears.

To check that the 'sleep' mode has been 'disabled':

Use the left or right arrows to select the 'Setup' menu
Use the 'down' arrow to select 'Preferences'
Use the 'down' arrow to work down the selections to 'Sleep', which should now be set to 'Off' - DO NOT select it as the only options are 5, 10 or 15 and you will need to start the whole process from the beginning!
If all OK, then use the 'Back/Return' button to get back to the 'normal' screen again

Lumberhead

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
HELLO
I have windows 7 and a laptop with windows 8 trying to connect the hp 4630 all in one.
My windows 7 is plugged into printer, but the windows 8 laptop was the problem.
Always lost the connection or could not find, especially after a windows neverending update comes along.

Today I have solved the problem, hope it helps.

When you right click the internet icon at the bottom of the screen, it lists all the networks available in your area. If you think you have set up your wireless printer you should see the hp model listed as another network available. If not, you are not set up wirelessly only sharing through the home network.

Sharing the network is great to connect your computers but the printer in another matter it seems.

My hp printer shows an option as Wireless Direct. When you press the wireless button, it will display if it is on or not by the signal strength bars. It will also show you the name of your home network. You should show a blue light indicating it is on. If blinking, it is not connected to your home network. Use the wireless setup wizard. It will guide you through setting it up. Choose your network and enter the code word or number if you still use that.

I have access to my computers, but if mine is not on, the shared computers can't print. I want the wireless laptop to be able to at anytime. This is where you will see the HP listed on the available networks. Click it and choose Connect Automatically. It will ask you for the password. This is not the password for your network, it is the one assigned to your printer at the factory. On your printer menu will have Wireless Direct. If it is not on, click to turn on. Then click Display Password. This is what you need to enter in the computer to connect to the printer wirelessly. Be sure to click your home network again if necessary to reconnect if needed.

Now, I turned off my computer and my laptop can still use the printer.

AndromedasFury

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I've seen this as a common problem with the HP 8600, if only I'd seen all these complaints before!! According to their diagnostics the "wireless card" is caput, cannot be replaced, they won't fix it because it's been in my possession 14 months, so out of warranty. One year of printing- must have been only about 25 pages. Absolutely crap. Sorry I can't advise how to fix it, since HP wouldn't let me know either. I paid an additional £18.45 for this advice since they wouldn't give it free.
Moral of the lesson: NEVER BUY HP PRODUCTS- THEY ARE CRAP AND CHEAPLY MADE-
It's been crap and useless since day one, relentlessly throwing itself off the network, until this final last time where it decided it will never connect ever again.I will take sublime pleasure in smashing mine to bits with a mallet.

ginerjm

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
You're telling me that suddenly my HP 8600 won't work wirelessly after 2 years because the internal wireless card is kaput? I don't believe it! This has been a superb printer, copier and scanner for at least two years now with nary a problem until today when I thought my router was failing or my laptop was giving me trouble (I recently had a virus problem). You're saying it is none of those things.

In my case my router shows the printer as a connected device. The printer - after doing the wizard setup 3-4 times now - says it is connected. But my MsWord can't print to it. Send a doc to the printer and after 2 mins or so I get back a 'cannot communicate' message.

ginerjm

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Really? As a "Senior Moderator" for this 'forum' your strongest urge is to post a crappy reply like 'Big Whoop'?

I can see that this forum is not worth seeking help on. May as well contact M$ for all the good that will do anyone.

BTW - for those still seeking help I did two things. My router had an outstanding upgrade so I did that. And since that was behind the curve I checked my 8600 and was pointed to an outstanding new driver for that as well. Seems that fixed my problem.

Mar 10, 2019
Hello this is old topic but the problem is always new :)

It seems that the only reliable way to create connect to computer from Officejet 8600 is to open the HP 8600 Assistant control panel window and there is the "create connect to scanning folder" (or something) wizard and let the wizard create the connection.