[SOLVED] HP Omen 15-dc1010np CPU temps reach 100C+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiril1512

Distinguished
Hello. I bought the HP Omen 15 Dc1010np with an I7 8750H + RTX 2060 with 144Hz diplay for a really good price (40% off). I had read some discusion that the laptop get too hot but for the price I was ok with it.

When some days of testing and playing a seen that it much games it goes to 100C+ and turns off.

What I done so far:
  1. Changed the thermal paste for a good one.
  2. Undervolted it with -0.145v offset.
  3. Bought an cooler pad with 4 fans.
  4. Updated the bios (it seems that there was a bios fix by HP for high temps).
Now I have 88C-90C+ in my games and I still think that this is too hot.
The Tjunction for this cpu is 100°C acording to intel website but I dont see how this is can be normal.

My question is: is this really normal for this laptop and CPU?
If not, there is a possible that I have a bad unit?

Kiril1512

Distinguished
I'm not sure if it's abnormal for your model laptop....but unfortunately I find it pretty common for laptops to run this hot.

Yes I know but I want to understand where is the limit and the mid term. My other MSI laptop has an I7 6700HQ on board and max temps I had was 80C+ in worst senario. The normal for gaming was 65C+. I know that I am comparing quad-core vs hexa-core but still...

D

Deleted member 14196

100 C seems too hot, even for a laptop. 88 C should be fine while gaming and under heavy load, if it solved your shutdown problems

Reactions: Kiril1512

Kiril1512

Distinguished
100 C seems too hot, even for a laptop. 88 C should be fine while gaming and under heavy load, if it solved your shutdown problems

Yes there is no more shutdowns and I rarely see fps drops because of temps. The paste replace and undervolt did the job.
I wounder if it is not better send it to HP to check if there is any issue. I already have this laptop for 2 months.

D

Deleted member 14196

that is totally up to you. but in general, gaming laptops run hot while under heavy load. Do as you see fit if it is really bothering you--but I think they will power it up and do minimal testing. Can you be without your laptop for the period of time it takes to have HP check it out?

If it's only 2 months old, I think you should not have had to open it up and reapply paste

Kiril1512

Distinguished
that is totally up to you. but in general, gaming laptops run hot while under heavy load. Do as you see fit if it is really bothering you--but I think they will power it up and do minimal testing. Can you be without your laptop for the period of time it takes to have HP check it out?

If it's only 2 months old, I think you should not have had to open it up and reapply paste

I done it because everyone in the net suggested to do that so since the pc was for an awesome price I "accepted its problems". I'm ok with 88C+ now since it's not interfacing my gaming experience in any direction. If this temps are normal for gaming laptops for this CPU it ok then.

Jan 16, 2020
Low your turboboost for example to 3,4 ghz.You will get a bit less fps but at least it won't throttle and you will still get enyojable fps in games. I locked my Turoboboost at my intel i7 8750h to 3,4ghz with throttlestop. Go to TPL and than set the speed shift to min 1 and max 34. And maybe set the Turbo time limit to 1.00 and try to lower the long and short max power (when you will watch youtube for more information).

My specs are i7 8750h with gtx 1070 8gb and 16 gb dualchannel (HP Omen 17 an106ng), undervolted to -133,8 .

In GTA V on very high settings it's 77 - 115 fps,
cs go on everything low 180 to 240 fps,
Kingdom Come Deliverance all on Ultra and HD pack 60 to 70 fps.
Witcher 3 all ultra up to 80 fps.

The CPU reaches 72 to 84 grad Celsius with factory thermal paste in games, I consider also to repaste with higher quality thermal paste.

I hope I could help you.

Reactions: Kiril1512

Kiril1512

Distinguished
Low your turboboost for example to 3,4 ghz.You will get a bit less fps but at least it won't throttle and you will still get enyojable fps in games. I locked my Turoboboost at my intel i7 8750h to 3,4ghz with throttlestop. Go to TPL and than set the speed shift to min 1 and max 34. And maybe set the Turbo time limit to 1.00 and try to lower the long and short max power (when you will watch youtube for more information).

My specs are i7 8750h with gtx 1070 8gb and 16 gb dualchannel (HP Omen 17 an106ng), undervolted to -133,8 .

In GTA V on very high settings it's 77 - 115 fps,
cs go on everything low 180 to 240 fps,
Kingdom Come Deliverance all on Ultra and HD pack 60 to 70 fps.
Witcher 3 all ultra up to 80 fps.

The CPU reaches 72 to 84 grad Celsius with factory thermal paste in games, I consider also to repaste with higher quality thermal paste.

I hope I could help you.

Hello. Until now I have -140offset and with new thermal paste applied I have 80ºC max on every session. The temp software's that I used (many of them) show always 99ºC max on all cores but I notice that those are spikes that are less than 1 seconds each. If I open the monitor on the second screen while gaming I see the constant graph of 78-80ºC and never seen those peaks, so I relay on the constant temp trough the time on the temperature that those random pikes that some software's are showing.

Apr 29, 2020
Undervolt 1.55 V and it will get more stable, depends on games, but this sucks, i have a 15 inch Omen with 8750H CPU and does the same, sometimes is oke under 85 degrees, even with cooling pad, but sometimes goes all the way up to 98 degrees, not sure what is wrong, i was texting and talking with HP officials and never solved it.
I send it to serice for paste replacement and fan control, did it, same thing. I think 8750H goes very hot and they didnt had the time to make a nice cooling for it. Now i am looking for some extreme cooling pad for laptops , but i think will not make difference!
P.S. I have 15 " with i7 8750h and 1060 6gb card configuration for the laptop. GPU goes 60-70 degrees hot when CPU goes up to 95-98.

Last edited:

Kiril1512

Distinguished
Undervolt 1.55 V and it will get more stable, depends on games, but this sucks, i have a 15 inch Omen with 8750H CPU and does the same, sometimes is oke under 85 degrees, even with cooling pad, but sometimes goes all the way up to 98 degrees, not sure what is wrong, i was texting and talking with HP officials and never solved it.
I send it to serice for paste replacement and fan control, did it, same thing. I think 8750H goes very hot and they didnt had the time to make a nice cooling for it. Now i am looking for some extreme cooling pad for laptops , but i think will not make difference!
P.S. I have 15 " with i7 8750h and 1060 6gb card configuration for the laptop. GPU goes 60-70 degrees hot when CPU goes up to 95-98.

Hello. I didn't keep it so I sold it because I don't want to play with that temperatures. Now I bought a Lenovo Legion Y740 with the I7-9750H and my temps are 80ºC on average.

Btw, change the paste for better quality paste will make a difference because in my case, at least the laptop was not shunting down...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Don't dig up old solved threads. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.