Question HP Omen 15-dc1088nr Performance Issue, CPU related?

Hawkeyz42

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello friends,

I'm hoping that you can all help me with some trouble that I have been having with my brand new Gaming PC. I recently bought the HP Omen 15, and upon first glace, and the first week, I loved the laptop. Now that I have had it for roughly two weeks I have continually noticed some problems, that I feel like I should not be having. The laptop is equipped with the latest generation i7-9750H processor and RTX 2060 GPU. I have been running some more intensive programs and games, trying to utilize the Omen Command Center that the computer comes equipped with, set to the "Performance" program, and I have noticed that my CPU speed does not clock up at all. It constantly runs at the base rate of 2.6 GHz at 100% which is slowing my computer way down, I don't need it to run at it's max rate of 4.5, but I would like it to speed up at least a bit, to give me at least a little bit more performance. The GPU works great, when I am playing some more intensive games, it normally clocks at 75-80%, but my CPU is always running slow at 100%. Is the Omen Command Center, just shit? Do I need to download some other program? I have been doing some research into Turbo Boost, but I cannot find it in the Bios or otherwise on this PC. I still have a few weeks to return it, if it is just not optimized properly. Any advice and knowledge is appreciated. I used to be really good at troubleshooting these things back in the day when I was a bigger PC geek, but life has moved on and I've forgotten a lot of the knowledge I had when I was younger.

Thanks in advance!

Shantanu Ghose

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hello friends,

I'm hoping that you can all help me with some trouble that I have been having with my brand new Gaming PC. I recently bought the HP Omen 15, and upon first glace, and the first week, I loved the laptop. Now that I have had it for roughly two weeks I have continually noticed some problems, that I feel like I should not be having. The laptop is equipped with the latest generation i7-9750H processor and RTX 2060 GPU. I have been running some more intensive programs and games, trying to utilize the Omen Command Center that the computer comes equipped with, set to the "Performance" program, and I have noticed that my CPU speed does not clock up at all. It constantly runs at the base rate of 2.6 GHz at 100% which is slowing my computer way down, I don't need it to run at it's max rate of 4.5, but I would like it to speed up at least a bit, to give me at least a little bit more performance. The GPU works great, when I am playing some more intensive games, it normally clocks at 75-80%, but my CPU is always running slow at 100%. Is the Omen Command Center, just shit? Do I need to download some other program? I have been doing some research into Turbo Boost, but I cannot find it in the Bios or otherwise on this PC. I still have a few weeks to return it, if it is just not optimized properly. Any advice and knowledge is appreciated. I used to be really good at troubleshooting these things back in the day when I was a bigger PC geek, but life has moved on and I've forgotten a lot of the knowledge I had when I was younger.

Thanks in advance!

Its been a long time since you posted this thread. Hopefully, you have figured it out or replaced it.

If not, then only one way to find out. Download some 3rd party software and overclock your CPU. If you can see the difference, you can rule out any hardware issues. It just means OCC is shittier than you expected.

Let me know your findings.

Even I purchased an Omen 15 laptop on 17th August. Everything was fine until I noticed that I was not able to plug in my external hard drive into the rear USB port. I created a thread too but no-one has replied yet. Have a look if you can (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/broken-usb-port-on-new-laptop.3515225/ )