Jan 10, 2020
Hi, I have been looking for a solution all night and I haven't found what im looking for , but this is one of my last chances. I recently got a hp omen 15 2019 with this configuration: i5-9300h, 1660ti, 8gb ddr4 ram @ 2666mhz with a nice 144hz screen and everything, got it as a good deal on the used market for 650 euros (might not be a good deal in other places of the world, but in a baltic state, you really get what you can)
First thing I realized, even before buying, I cannot find a configuration of these sorts anywhere on the internet, but it works, so whatever. Second thing I realized, this things fans are going ham. I checked cpu temps and it was doing 90 degrees celsius IDLE (idk how, its ridiculous). Then I replaced the thermal paste and blew out the fans a bit and went back to temps, it right now does 45-50 idling , 50-70 internet browsing and gaming its doing 90-98 degrees celsius (I tested with Escape from Tarkov, Dead by daylight and csgo, I know csgo isnt a accurate benchmark but it still made it go hot). It also randomly uses its short turbo boost when im randomly being on youtube, the fans act up and its sort of a pain in a small dorm room with 2 other people.
I really don't like such high temperature numbers even thought I've seen so many forum posts about how gaming laptops push out such temps, I do understand that, its quite a heavy hardware setup and the cooling configuration for this is not that great probably.
I tried undervolting, it does and doesn't work. I undervolted it to -0.130 and while playing those games it still went to those temps, so I scrapped that. I disabled the short boost turbo, it solved the random boosts when just casually looking at vids, but that didn't do anything else either. I altered the turbo max (not the short one), I really didn't see too much there either, It gave it less power but the temps were the same if not worse.
I put it on 99% maximum power usage, can't really say anything amazing about that either.
Also, the first owner also got a 1tb sata ssd for more storage because before that it only had a 256gb m.2 drive, when I was doing a full repair of windows(deleting all his left files just in case), it showed and error about the ssd and it wouldent specify what, trying to find out what it just booted me into windows, showing both of them working fine. I also installed speedfan to see what I can do about the random turbos, but it showed something weird (ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data, this refers to the 1tb ssd).
I hope that could be clue to a fault that fixes everything, fingers crossed. Hoping to hear from a different stance on this issue, also hope this becomes quite a popular thread, because I bet there are others with the same issue, but theres pretty much nothing about its solution.
So here I am, looking for guidance that I haven't found useful anywhere else and I am looking for 2 things:
1)Can anyone really guide me to some tuned settings that it doesn't always be at 90-98 on games, but has respectable performance,a sweet spot, if you will.
2)If there really is no solution, is it still somewhat safe to continue gaming on these type of temperatures? I ask that, because I find people have mixed feelings on this, some say this is what gaming laptops are, deal with it, some say thats too hot and get it replaced (I can't replace it cause I wasn't the first owner), to undervolt it (shows potential, im just kinda new to it so maybe someone can teach me something I don't fully understand there), replace thermals (already did, some say do liquid metal, no way am I attempting that myself, plus I bet temps would be like 90 on games, not worth for me to risk it all for that), update BIOS (I really don't know about this, never have done it on any rig, but I really doubt that it will help.

Jan 10, 2020
While it probably can handle it, it probably isn't that great to have them at those temps while gaming and on that type of temps I did stress test on IETU and it thermal throttles half the time of the stress test, is there any way I can tune it for it to be optimal?

Louie365

Prominent
Apr 9, 2019
Hi, I have been looking for a solution all night and I haven't found what im looking for , but this is one of my last chances. I recently got a hp omen 15 2019 with this configuration: i5-9300h, 1660ti, 8gb ddr4 ram @ 2666mhz with a nice 144hz screen and everything, got it as a good deal on the used market for 650 euros (might not be a good deal in other places of the world, but in a baltic state, you really get what you can)
First thing I realized, even before buying, I cannot find a configuration of these sorts anywhere on the internet, but it works, so whatever. Second thing I realized, this things fans are going ham. I checked cpu temps and it was doing 90 degrees celsius IDLE (idk how, its ridiculous). Then I replaced the thermal paste and blew out the fans a bit and went back to temps, it right now does 45-50 idling , 50-70 internet browsing and gaming its doing 90-98 degrees celsius (I tested with Escape from Tarkov, Dead by daylight and csgo, I know csgo isnt a accurate benchmark but it still made it go hot). It also randomly uses its short turbo boost when im randomly being on youtube, the fans act up and its sort of a pain in a small dorm room with 2 other people.
I really don't like such high temperature numbers even thought I've seen so many forum posts about how gaming laptops push out such temps, I do understand that, its quite a heavy hardware setup and the cooling configuration for this is not that great probably.
I tried undervolting, it does and doesn't work. I undervolted it to -0.130 and while playing those games it still went to those temps, so I scrapped that. I disabled the short boost turbo, it solved the random boosts when just casually looking at vids, but that didn't do anything else either. I altered the turbo max (not the short one), I really didn't see too much there either, It gave it less power but the temps were the same if not worse.
I put it on 99% maximum power usage, can't really say anything amazing about that either.
Also, the first owner also got a 1tb sata ssd for more storage because before that it only had a 256gb m.2 drive, when I was doing a full repair of windows(deleting all his left files just in case), it showed and error about the ssd and it wouldent specify what, trying to find out what it just booted me into windows, showing both of them working fine. I also installed speedfan to see what I can do about the random turbos, but it showed something weird (ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data, this refers to the 1tb ssd).
I hope that could be clue to a fault that fixes everything, fingers crossed. Hoping to hear from a different stance on this issue, also hope this becomes quite a popular thread, because I bet there are others with the same issue, but theres pretty much nothing about its solution.
So here I am, looking for guidance that I haven't found useful anywhere else and I am looking for 2 things:
1)Can anyone really guide me to some tuned settings that it doesn't always be at 90-98 on games, but has respectable performance,a sweet spot, if you will.
2)If there really is no solution, is it still somewhat safe to continue gaming on these type of temperatures? I ask that, because I find people have mixed feelings on this, some say this is what gaming laptops are, deal with it, some say thats too hot and get it replaced (I can't replace it cause I wasn't the first owner), to undervolt it (shows potential, im just kinda new to it so maybe someone can teach me something I don't fully understand there), replace thermals (already did, some say do liquid metal, no way am I attempting that myself, plus I bet temps would be like 90 on games, not worth for me to risk it all for that), update BIOS (I really don't know about this, never have done it on any rig, but I really doubt that it will help.
Hi, there, so I was just having the same problem with a similar rig last week, till I finally managed to fix it. Maybe you have done this, in which case I can't help you, much more.
So basically as I understand it you bought the laptop second hand(as I did too, btw I'm on living on the same region so I know how it is in terms of buying tech) You said that you blew off the fans, but did you try and clean the radiator? Cause mine was cluttered with dust and stuff, and cleaning it got my temps from actually thermal throttling at 100 degrees C under load, to as high as 70-75 degrees after cleaning those rads. Also buying a stand with 2 fans help's a little bit(I did find one pretty cheap from deepcool)
I hope that this helps you. And by the way, regarding bios updates, check on the HP site, they've made it pretty easy, I mean as simple as installing a program and letting it reboot a couple of times on its own XD. And it actually can help with temp issues.

Reactions: Andisssss
Jan 10, 2020
Hi, there, so I was just having the same problem with a similar rig last week, till I finally managed to fix it. Maybe you have done this, in which case I can't help you, much more.
So basically as I understand it you bought the laptop second hand(as I did too, btw I'm on living on the same region so I know how it is in terms of buying tech) You said that you blew off the fans, but did you try and clean the radiator? Cause mine was cluttered with dust and stuff, and cleaning it got my temps from actually thermal throttling at 100 degrees C under load, to as high as 70-75 degrees after cleaning those rads. Also buying a stand with 2 fans help's a little bit(I did find one pretty cheap from deepcool)
I hope that this helps you. And by the way, regarding bios updates, check on the HP site, they've made it pretty easy, I mean as simple as installing a program and letting it reboot a couple of times on its own XD. And it actually can help with temp issues.

Yo, been a while. I am responding to this because this was the actual solution. The radiator and fan was connected with a piece of adhesive tape and taking off the fans showed a mesh like amount of dust which blocked a whole radiator. Hope everyone else seeing this finds this to be useful as well.