Question HP Omen 15 laptop experiencing multiple BSOD

Oct 5, 2023
Hello,
My HP Omen 15 (15-en0023dx) has been having several different BSODs. Most of the time the stop code is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. As the frequency of BSODs has increased, so has the variety of stop codes. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to when they occur. It happens both under and not under load, and regardless of uptime.

Hardware is as follows:

Product Name: OMEN Laptop - 15-en0023dx
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
Memory: 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
SSD: 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti

The stop codes are as follows:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
HYPERVISOR_ERROR
EXCEPTION_ON_INVALID_STACK
ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Troubleshooting Steps:

Ran DISM Scan/Check/RestoreHealth - OK
Ran SFC /Scannow - OK
Ran Chkdsk C: /F – OK
Clean Uninstall/Reinstall of Nvidia Driver using DDU
Updated BIOS (disabled fast boot)
Updated device drivers with HP Assistant
Clean reinstall of Windows 11 USB from flash drive
Ran Memtest86+ - OK
Replaced both sticks of RAM
Installed one RAM stick at a time, to test both slots separately
New Laptop charger
Replaced SSD and reinstalled Windows 11

Most recent minidump files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VUx9U5Ee-ua2CGj-__s0uU3PFMlJGwoZ?usp=sharing

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

As for your OS install, did you install said OS in offline mode? Once installed, did you manually install all relevant driver for your laptop in an elevate command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? in order to do the latter, you will need to download all necessary drivers onto a pen drive(using a donor system).

Oct 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

As for your OS install, did you install said OS in offline mode? Once installed, did you manually install all relevant driver for your laptop in an elevate command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? in order to do the latter, you will need to download all necessary drivers onto a pen drive(using a donor system).
Hi, thanks for the response. I created the Windows installer using the Windows Create Installation Media tool. I just did a regular install, not offline and not with any manual driver installing. If that is something you think I need to do is there any chance you could link to a guide detailing the steps?
Thanks for your help.

ubuysa

Distinguished
From the dumps this looks almost certain to be a RAM problem. Without going into detail, you have a couple of misaligned instruction pointer errors, a couple of garbage address references, and a garbage PTE (Page Table Entry). ad RAM is by far the mnost likely cause of all these, taken both individually and as a collection.

The most reliable way to test your RAM is to remove one stick and see whether it will BSOD on just the one stick. Then swap sticks and see whether it will BSOD on just the other stick.

Oct 5, 2023
From the dumps this looks almost certain to be a RAM problem. Without going into detail, you have a couple of misaligned instruction pointer errors, a couple of garbage address references, and a garbage PTE (Page Table Entry). ad RAM is by far the mnost likely cause of all these, taken both individually and as a collection.

The most reliable way to test your RAM is to remove one stick and see whether it will BSOD on just the one stick. Then swap sticks and see whether it will BSOD on just the other stick.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried new ram sticks in both slots, then one at a time. The BSOD continued throughout all of them. Are there any further test to pursue this route I can do?

ubuysa

Distinguished
Ok, so it's probably not RAM then. Can you upload the dumps you got during this RAM testing please?

You earlier said this...
I created the Windows installer using the Windows Create Installation Media tool. I just did a regular install, not offline and not with any manual driver installing.
Did you boot that installation media, delete existing UEFI partitions, and then clean install onto a blank drive?

Oct 5, 2023
Ok, so it's probably not RAM then. Can you upload the dumps you got during this RAM testing please?

You earlier said this...

Did you boot that installation media, delete existing UEFI partitions, and then clean install onto a blank drive?
Unfortunately I hadn't enabled minidumps at that point so I don't have those to upload, I can try switching back to single sticks of RAM and upload any future dumps if you think it would help diagnose the issue? As for the Windows install, the drive I installed windows on was a brand new SSD that hadn't been used at all until I did that windows install on it.

Oct 5, 2023
And did you run Windows Update repeatedly (even across reboots) until no more updates were found? Did you then check in Device Manager that no devices had a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark?
Yes, Windows is fully up to date. There are no triangles/warning symbols next to any devices in the device manager. I have uploaded the latest batch of BSOD reports as well. They are in a subfolder in the Google Drive folder.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Sadly your most recent dumps all point very strongly at RAM as well. Since you've tried new RAM though we can park that for now.

I'd like you to start Windows in Safe Mode, use Safe Mode without networking at first. In Safe Mode Windows loads only the absolute minimum services to run and it loads almost no third-party drivers at all. Thus, if it BSODs in Safe Mode we can be fairly certain that this is a hardware problem. Since you've clean installed Windows it already looks like a hardware problem however.

In Safe Mode many of your devices will not work properly (or at all) because their third-party drivers are not loaded. Your display will be a low resolution for example, because you'll be using only the Windows basic display driver. You WILL NOT be able to do any normal work in Safe Mode, we're using it only to see whether or not it will BSOD. Please persevere and use the laptop for as long as you can. We want to give it every opportunity to BSOD.

When you've tested it for as long as possible restart Safe Mode and this time select Safe Mode with networking. You'll be able to use many more features in this mode because you'll have Internet access. Again, please keep running for as long as you can to see whether it BSODs.

Obviously, as soon as you get a BSOD in Safe Mode you can stop testing. We'll then be quite confident that you have a hardware issue. On a laptop there's very little we can do to test components, but I'll suggest a couple of tests if we get there.

Oct 5, 2023
Sadly your most recent dumps all point very strongly at RAM as well. Since you've tried new RAM though we can park that for now.

I'd like you to start Windows in Safe Mode, use Safe Mode without networking at first. In Safe Mode Windows loads only the absolute minimum services to run and it loads almost no third-party drivers at all. Thus, if it BSODs in Safe Mode we can be fairly certain that this is a hardware problem. Since you've clean installed Windows it already looks like a hardware problem however.

In Safe Mode many of your devices will not work properly (or at all) because their third-party drivers are not loaded. Your display will be a low resolution for example, because you'll be using only the Windows basic display driver. You WILL NOT be able to do any normal work in Safe Mode, we're using it only to see whether or not it will BSOD. Please persevere and use the laptop for as long as you can. We want to give it every opportunity to BSOD.

When you've tested it for as long as possible restart Safe Mode and this time select Safe Mode with networking. You'll be able to use many more features in this mode because you'll have Internet access. Again, please keep running for as long as you can to see whether it BSODs.

Obviously, as soon as you get a BSOD in Safe Mode you can stop testing. We'll then be quite confident that you have a hardware issue. On a laptop there's very little we can do to test components, but I'll suggest a couple of tests if we get there.
After more than a day and a half in safe mode, and running a few stress tests, my laptop did not blue screen. I went back to it being a software problem and reinstalled Windows 10 instead. So far, I have had no issues with blue screening while using Windows 10. I wonder if there was a recent windows 11 update that my computer did not find compatible.

ubuysa

Distinguished
That it ran OK in Safe Mode does strongly suggest that it was not a hardware problem. Now that you've reinstalled Windows 10 see how things go. If that's OK too then that's conclusive proof that your hardware is not at fault.

Are you certain the PC, and everything in it and connected to it, is completely Windows 11 compatible?