[SOLVED] HP Omen 15 semi-idle temps 50-60C

Jan 14, 2021
Hi,
I have my HP Omen 15 (laptop) with i7-9750H and my semi-idle temps are 50-60 degrees celsius. By semi-idle temps, I mean browsing the internet, watching YouTube. I have my laptop for a year now, and I installed much software and stuff, would it help to reinstall the Windows? Or is this semi idle temps bad? I have Windows on low power mode and placed my laptop on an active cooling pad. Should I do something with this?

HI there,

I've the same laptop. As with most gaming laptops, they run hot.

Temps are about right for the task you are doing. Maybe a tad high. In the Omen Gaming Hub software, you can choose three different profiles - Comfort, Default, and Performance.

Comfort gives the lowest system temps, but the PC doesn't run at full speed.
Default is a balanced mix.
Performance is full power with no limitations.

You might look at using the profiles. You can also look at undervolting your CPU/GPU. This can have a huge effect. bringing temps down by 5-10c on average. I fyou update your bios to the most recent one, and update gaming Hub, you can undervolt officially with the HP app, as oppesed to Throttlestop/Intel XTU.

Finally you can also look at replacing the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU. HP, and most big PC companies use generic paste. The difference between that and lets say Arctic MX-4 or something is big. Re-pasting thermal paste can also reduce temps by 5-10c.

Last edited:
HI there,

I've the same laptop. As with most gaming laptops, they run hot.

Temps are about right for the task you are doing. Maybe a tad high. In the Omen Gaming Hub software, you can choose three different profiles - Comfort, Default, and Performance.

Comfort gives the lowest system temps, but the PC doesn't run at full speed.
Default is a balanced mix.
Performance is full power with no limitations.

You might look at using the profiles. You can also look at undervolting your CPU/GPU. This can have a huge effect. bringing temps down by 5-10c on average. I fyou update your bios to the most recent one, and update gaming Hub, you can undervolt officially with the HP app, as oppesed to Throttlestop/Intel XTU.

Finally you can also look at replacing the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU. HP, and most big PC companies use generic paste. The difference between that and lets say Arctic MX-4 or something is big. Re-pasting thermal paste can also reduce temps by 5-10c.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY