[SOLVED] HP Omen 15 semi-idle temps 50-60C

Jan 14, 2021
Hi,
I have my HP Omen 15 (laptop) with i7-9750H and my semi-idle temps are 50-60 degrees celsius. By semi-idle temps, I mean browsing the internet, watching YouTube. I have my laptop for a year now, and I installed much software and stuff, would it help to reinstall the Windows? Or is this semi idle temps bad? I have Windows on low power mode and placed my laptop on an active cooling pad. Should I do something with this?

Solution
HI there,

I've the same laptop. As with most gaming laptops, they run hot.

Temps are about right for the task you are doing. Maybe a tad high. In the Omen Gaming Hub software, you can choose three different profiles - Comfort, Default, and Performance.

Comfort gives the lowest system temps, but the PC doesn't run at full speed.
Default is a balanced mix.
Performance is full power with no limitations.

You might look at using the profiles. You can also look at undervolting your CPU/GPU. This can have a huge effect. bringing temps down by 5-10c on average. I fyou update your bios to the most recent one, and update gaming Hub, you can undervolt officially with the HP app, as oppesed to Throttlestop/Intel XTU.

Finally you can also look...
HI there,

I've the same laptop. As with most gaming laptops, they run hot.

Temps are about right for the task you are doing. Maybe a tad high. In the Omen Gaming Hub software, you can choose three different profiles - Comfort, Default, and Performance.

Comfort gives the lowest system temps, but the PC doesn't run at full speed.
Default is a balanced mix.
Performance is full power with no limitations.

You might look at using the profiles. You can also look at undervolting your CPU/GPU. This can have a huge effect. bringing temps down by 5-10c on average. I fyou update your bios to the most recent one, and update gaming Hub, you can undervolt officially with the HP app, as oppesed to Throttlestop/Intel XTU.

Finally you can also look at replacing the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU. HP, and most big PC companies use generic paste. The difference between that and lets say Arctic MX-4 or something is big. Re-pasting thermal paste can also reduce temps by 5-10c.

Last edited:
Solution