Question HP Omen 15 SSD storage seems to have disappeared

frogzx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
The exact laptop model, for context: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...b-optane-shadow-black/6409146.p?skuId=6409146

I bought this a little over a year ago (of course this would happen right after the warranty expires) and about a month ago I had issues with BSOD. And while I tried to figure out what the issue was, eventually I got one more BSOD and booted into a screen that told me there was no OS installed and that I needed to insert a drive that had one. Used my recovery USB to reinstall W10 and the 500gb SSD was nowhere to be found, but there was a drive with 27gb worth of space (the optane portion of the SSD perhaps?). Anyways my laptop has just kind of been sitting here until I have the time to take it into a shop, but for whatever reason I started tinkering with it again tonight and managed to get W10 installed on that 27gb of storage, despite it apparently not being enough space to hold W10? Went into the drive manager after booting into Windows and indeed, the 500gb storage still isn't there. Does anyone have any idea as to what could have happened? Did my SSD just up and die? I don't even really know how to troubleshoot this aside from making sure it's properly put into the SSD slot, I even tried using the second slot and it didn't change anything.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Someone might have better ideas, but it might be time to brush up your backups, and get a new SSD.

But you can have another try in another computer or inside a known-good external enclosure, maybe.

Sorry about what happened.