SamuelMeller

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I am currently looking at buying a gaming laptop for university and I am stuck between the Lenovo Legion Y740 and the HP Omen 15.

I am looking to use the laptop for gaming on games such as GTA V, Modern Warfare, and some other modern games. I would also be using it for Video Editing on premiere pro but only 1080p footage nothing crazy.
So the one with the better colours and screen brightness would be useful.

Any help is much appreciated. Thankyou!

Jun 21, 2020
Hi, I am currently looking at buying a gaming laptop for university and I am stuck between the Lenovo Legion Y740 and the HP Omen 15.

I am looking to use the laptop for gaming on games such as GTA V, Modern Warfare, and some other modern games. I would also be using it for Video Editing on premiere pro but only 1080p footage nothing crazy.

the HP is significantly cheaper, and if you go the HP's student store it drops to about £1100. at £1100 the exact same laptop is an absolute monster

Jun 21, 2020

just to be clear are you a student? you can get a cheaper laptop using your university login details when you receive them. i dont know if your high school has the same

Jun 18, 2020
When you compare the two that you have shortlisted, I think from a value for money perspective, Legion Y740 should be perfect. It might not have LED panel as the Omen but the IPS panel display is adequate. Since you are not going to handle much of video editing, I think this should do just fine. HP Omen 15 is a bit overpriced in my opinion and the two laptops are fairly close to one another in terms of their features, which is why I’d highly recommend you to go for the Legion.

I can suggest other models too if you like to have a few other choices. Happy to help!

Jun 21, 2020
When you compare the two that you have shortlisted, I think from a value for money perspective, Legion Y740 should be perfect. It might not have LED panel as the Omen but the IPS panel display is adequate. Since you are not going to handle much of video editing, I think this should do just fine. HP Omen 15 is a bit overpriced in my opinion and the two laptops are fairly close to one another in terms of their features, which is why I’d highly recommend you to go for the Legion.

I can suggest other models too if you like to have a few other choices. Happy to help!
the HP omen is cheaper wtf

Jun 18, 2020
the HP omen is cheaper wtf
Well, I am talking about the HP Omen 15-dh0138TX and Lenovo Legion Y740. The HP Omen 15 is almost 25% expensive then the Legion Y740.

I am not sure which model you are referring to and I am not sure which ecommerce site or country you are purchasing the model from. I just shared the details I know and I don’t mean to offend anyone here! Just chill and move on!

Jun 21, 2020

if you look at OP's post the HP is cheaper. I really wish you'd use OP's links for comparison rather than flying off using your own :)

Jun 18, 2020
if you look at OP's post the HP is cheaper. I really wish you'd use OP's links for comparison rather than flying off using your own :)
You can find discounts everywhere these days.. and instead of taking your frustration out on others on the forum, why don't you move on and do something productive and let the OP decide what he wants!?