Question HP Omen 17 Memory Issue after Bios Update

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
HI all,
I recently did some windows updates and started experiencing BSOD's and Freezes. After attempting a few things to fix the issues, i resorted to updating the bios from f.47 to f.49 rev A. After flashing the bios through the install assistant, my laptop immediately crashed. Laptop power button led was on and caps lock light was flashing 3 times. I tried the Win and B keys with power button to recover the bios but nothing worked. Eventually I decided to open the laptop and remove 1 stick of the ram. Closed the laptop back up and it started working. I tried to change the kit with another ram kit but nothing worked. the 2nd ram slot was not working and the laptop wouldnt boot up with the 2nd ram in it. so now im left with 1 stick of 8gb. I tried to fix the issue by downloading the previous bios and flashing it through USB. I tried to boot up again using the Win, B and power button, and then i get the error "The system bios recovery failed. Unable to open bios signature file".

What am i doing wrong? How do i downgrade back to f.48 bios or any other so i can get the 2nd ram slot working.
Thank You

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
everythings working fine in windows, stopped experiencing crashes and freezes as well. The only issue i found was when i updated the bios, it would not bootup. screen was black and the caps lock keep was displaying 3 blinking lights and a pause. after some research, i found that it could be a memory issue which is why i took 1 of the ram sticks out and it started working. immediately i tried a different kit of ram from another laptop that works 100%. same issue remains. the ram slot closest to the board, as soon as that was occupied the laptop wouldnt boot. i saw 1 post regarding a similar issue with hp systems. which is why i concluded it could be the bios. any help with rolling back to an older bios will be highly appreciated.
Thank You

Aug 15, 2023
HI all,
I recently did some windows updates and started experiencing BSOD's and Freezes. After attempting a few things to fix the issues, i resorted to updating the bios from f.47 to f.49 rev A. After flashing the bios through the install assistant, my laptop immediately crashed. Laptop power button led was on and caps lock light was flashing 3 times. I tried the Win and B keys with power button to recover the bios but nothing worked. Eventually I decided to open the laptop and remove 1 stick of the ram. Closed the laptop back up and it started working. I tried to change the kit with another ram kit but nothing worked. the 2nd ram slot was not working and the laptop wouldnt boot up with the 2nd ram in it. so now im left with 1 stick of 8gb. I tried to fix the issue by downloading the previous bios and flashing it through USB. I tried to boot up again using the Win, B and power button, and then i get the error "The system bios recovery failed. Unable to open bios signature file".

What am i doing wrong? How do i downgrade back to f.48 bios or any other so i can get the 2nd ram slot working.
Thank You
Hi , do you have a backup for old bios version , this steps can you try on order to have back the previous version , if not working ,you can go in a service and they will reprogram the bios for you .

Let's rollback the BIOS and check.

1) Shutdown the computer. 2) Hold down the Windows and B button together while the computer is still turned off. 3) Turn on the computer and continue to hold the Windows and B button until a BIOS Recovery screen appears. 4) Follow on-screen instructions and click on OK

Aug 15, 2023
HI all,

Thank You
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_3932413-2337994-16, this will find a tutorial on how to create USB bios recovery or in this case restore the previous version.

TRENDING THREADS