Review HP Omen 30L Review: Big-Box Boutique

Feb 14, 2021
A little late in the game to be introducing a new so-called HP porpiatry boutique build. New 590 series mobos will hit the market in a few weeks time. INTEL will will be introducing their new 11th-gen next-generation desktop with PCIE 4.0. Buying the Omen 30L now has one outdated in a matter of days. Why would HP do such a thing, no mater what the specs and 30L system performance!

That POV doesn't make sense -- just because something new is coming out doesn't mean that a system today is going to be obsolete the moment the new thing hits the market. That's fanboy thinking, not consumer thinking. It's also just going to make you constantly disappointed because no matter when you choose to buy, one or more of the core components is likely to be upgraded in a few weeks.

The best advice is to buy a system based on what you need to do with it over the next 1-3 years and ignore the hype about what's about to be released unless it gives you something you actually need -- at the moment, for the price point, an i9 10850 with an RTX 3080 should be easily able to hit the mark for games and content creation use cases for the next few years.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I bought the 10850K model with an RTX 3080 from Amazon for $2199. What really sucks is I saw the price drop to $1961 and I could have sworn I saw the price even lower a tad under $1500. The scalpers who turn around and resell them on Amazon were too fast so I could never complete the checkout process.

But at $2199 it's a really nice prebuilt rig and it's primary use for me was running Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 in 4K with ultra settings and it does that at 30FPS. So mission accomplished.

I only went the prebuilt route because GPU's are next to impossible to find at MSRP. So instead of paying a scalper $1900 for an RTX 3080, I was able to get the entire system for a few hundred more.

Bloatware was average and i've seen a lot worse. I reinstalled the OS so that's no longer an issue.

My specs are:
i9 10850K
Liquid Cooled CPU
1TB Nvme Western Digital
2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm
RTX 3080
Corsair 750W PSU
Wifi 6

Reactions: Tom Sunday

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Very well done and it makes perfect sense in times like these to do so. But you know how it is here in the forums and with most enthusiasts dispising the idea to go the prebuilt botique route. I also loved the pricing and specifications of your new system. I would also take the position that "later" one can always change out the case and upgrade other hardware items to making the rig 90% your own creation. Congrats and good going!
Hey thanks for the confirmation on my rig. This is the first time since the late 90's I went prebuilt only for the reasons I stated. The Omen 30L is a nice boutique prebuilt and it looks quality and yes it's pretty much a standard Mid Tower so upgrading should be easy. The not so easy part is waiting for the GPU's to become more readily available.

Last week I picked up an Alienware on sale from Dell, part of their advertised gaming deals. It should arrive next week, so I can compare it to the Omen 30L. I picked up an Aurora R10 for $1240.

Specs are:
Ryzen 3800X
Liquid Cooled CPU with 1000W PSU
Lunar Light Case with customized lighting
RTX 2070 8GB (OC Ready). Not sure if it's a straight 2070 or 2070 Super. Will find out.
512GB Nvme
8GB of DDR4 2933Mhz (I plan on dropping 16GB of 3200Mhz if I keep it)
Wifi 6
No keyboard or mouse