Question HP Omen 870-224

May 16, 2019
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to PC building/upgrading. I bought a HP Omen a little over a year ago, and I mostly use it for PC gaming, and the more I use it, the more it seems I could use some upgrades. I upgraded the RAM to 16gb, and added a NVIDIA 1660 Ti instead of the 3gb 1060 that was in it. I now want to upgrade the CPU, but my motherboard only allows for 1 upgrade over my current CPU and I can buy a motherboard/cpu combo for almost as much as the 1 CPU upgrade, for a better CPU.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to upgrade the motherboard in these machines without ruining it? I was looking on the HP support forums but the majority of the individuals get oddly defensive and tell people they shouldn't have bought an HP PC if they wanted to upgrade aspects like that. It seemed less than helpful. So I'd just like to know if it is possible at all, or if it would render my PC useless.

I've had no issues with my upgrades so far, and am confident in my ability to replace the hardware, I just don't know if something would go wrong when I swap them out. I also noticed that the current motherboard has a uATX form factor, and HP support says nothing about the case being compatible with other form factors. Interior-wise, I think it would be fine, I just don't know if the screw placement and everything would be the same.

Thanks for any help.