mesopotamian2000

Commendable
Sep 8, 2019
Greetings Everyone.

I have an HP Omen 15 t (AX200TX) i7-7700/1050ti. The device was my first gaming laptop experience, was truly a special one but from day one the laptop was hovering in the danger zone regarding temperatures, both cpu (95c-99C) and gpu (80C). These temps stayed with me for 3 years, i tried thermal paste changing, used different brand like kryonaut and arctic mx4 but that didnt really make a difference, i even got new fans and still that didnt change anything. So at that point i just gave up and kept using to the laptop like normal (keep in mind that even though the temps are high, it rarely throttled, few games like csgo would cause it to throttle right away am assuming due to the combined load of cpu and gpu). Anyhow, fast forward to some time and one day while i was gaming the device throttled in a game it never did before (Dota 2) so i turned off the laptop. Then i started it again after a few minutes. I was greeted with beeps and hp thermal shutdown warning, but it still booted after a few tries. I was surprised to see the Nvidia control panel missing all together. I tried to open a game and to my surprise the fps was so low and the quality was set to the lowest settings, i checked gpuz and saw that the integrated gpu was running the game not the 1050ti. I went and uninstalled the gpu drivers and then installed a new one, only to be shocked again, where the Nvidia software says no compatible gpu was found, although am very sure that am using the right driver...

Could it possibly be a fried gpu? The laptop still works as i mentioned, but on the intel integrated gpu. One last thing i wanna add, few days prior to that, i used my hp omen charger which is rated at 150w for powering another hp laptop which requires much lower power (around 65). I noticed after using the charger on my Omen that the cpu wasnt boosting like before. Could it be that i spoiled the charger which in turn spoiled the gpu?

Sorry for making it a newsletter, and any help would be appreciated...

So, you were overheating, both the CPU and the graphics card, for years, knowingly, and now you're not sure if something was damaged?

Yes, I'd say there's a really good chance that something, whether it's a part of the PCIe circuit that the GPU relies on, or the GPU itself, or something else, has been damaged.

While using your charger on another machine was probably ALSO not a very good idea, if they did not have identical requirements, I'd be sort of surprised if that had anything at all to do with the problem you are having now.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
It might be worth a try to try another charger for the laptop. It could be failing, maybe it's not supplying enough reliable power to initiated the card, or the card could be fried... But a fresh known good power supply would be the place to start.

You realize this thread is about a laptop Omen, not a desktop Omen, right?

Changing the post content doesn't change the fact that previously you were referencing a desktop Omen and installing a different CPU cooler. But I get it, we all overlook things and make mistakes. No big deal.

Problem is though, he had this problem for THREE YEARS. You can't overheat your hardware, or even run it the fuzzy gray edge of overheated, for three years, and not expect there to be permanent damage.

Electromigration and VT-shift are real.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
You're completely right, there's a very high chance the gpu is in gpu heaven.

But those gaming laptop power supplies can experience pretty high heat loads. A friend's regularly trips after a few hours of gaming.

However, ordering a factory replacement from Amazon and giving it a shot is a low risk solution. If it doesn't work return it & it's a no cost confirmation that the GPU is surely gone. If it works, great! GPU is still alive.